Line breaking in concatenate function

Would anyone know if there is any way to create line breaks in the concatenate function? Something kind </ p> <br > \ r \ n

Ex. =concatenate(‘String 1’, </*p>,‘String 2’,</*p>,‘String 3’)

PS: without the *

1 Like

It’s possible with a bit of a hack. You can “store” a line break in a cell (create a table for it somewhere, and hit ctrl-enter to create a line break). So you can:

1. Create a 2 column table - first column is Name, second column is Value
  2. In the first row - fill in Name as “Enter” and Value as a single ctrl-enter line break
  3. From your function, refer to that cell as @Enter.Value - e.g. =concatenate(“a”, @Enter.Value, “b”)
1 Like

Many thanks Shishir.
Through this tip I was able to concatenate the text as I wished.

Hi @shishir, does this still work? Can’t get it to. Works within coda, but once the email is sent, it seems the line break is stripped away.

Another option for a line break is Character(10)

Example:
Concatenate("Hello",[Name],Character(10),"Sending this email to catch up!",Character(10),"Thank you!")

I haven’t tried this recently with sending in an email, but it does work with Slack, so I think it will work with Gmail too.

8 Likes

This is no longer work any more. Is there any alternative?

@Danny_Thakur The easiest way is to break the line in the formula editor, one advantage is that it already looks like your result in the formula editor.

chiming in that Character(10) works perfectly and can be used in line in a concatenate function

Or lineBreak()!

With Coda 3.0 came a new formula that is a functional equivalent of character(10)

4 Likes

Well that’s a bit easier to remember at least :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.