Coda 4.0 Pricing Updates: Supercharging Doc Makers

@BrianD I understand your frustration; our goal with this change was to make understanding who within your team requires a doc maker licenses an easier process as you grow with Coda, while still encouraging collaboration within your doc for editors.

Wait for real? Well then I’ve got to regretfully inform you that Coda has objectively failed on that. It is now very hard to understand who needs a doc maker license and who is fine on editor. Pay walling page making has made that distinction incredibly blurry whereas before it was ultra clear. It is by no means easier to understand.

I’m very curious to know Coda’s projections on how many more doc makers this change would bring in for them. Because how could you possibly even construct that metric with such a bizarre rule change? “Impacts less than 5% of users” but there are dozens of people in this thread saying this will be a 1000% cost increase for their team. So is this lop-sided approach intentional? Punish that 5% and everyone else keeps paying comparatively next to nothing for the tool? Surely even internally you guys are confused as hell about what this will/has lead to. If it’s confusing for you then it’s confusing for your customers.

I want you to take more money from me. I pay too little for the productivity that Coda brings to my company. The pay model before this change was simply too good to be true. However this change to that pay model is stealing back some of that productivity because of how incredibly invasive it is to how I can utilize the app.

120 posts in here. How many more are needed before Coda properly acknowledges the feedback and outlines their underlying strategy behind this change instead of “I understand your frustration”?

It’s been 2 months. If Coda is going to stick with these changes then you owe it to your customers to tell us exactly why this is the right decision for the continued growth of Coda despite what seems like overwhelmingly negative feedback.

6 Likes

Lol totally agree about editing icons. It felt like a ::chef’s kiss:: situation for us and where the real :person_shrugging: occurs.

1 Like

Hi everyone, cross-posting in case you missed it. Today, we launched several updates to Coda AI, including new credit add-ons, analytics and more product updates. You can learn more here.

1 Like

yea, i agree with this entirely. it seems weird to me to claim that coda is a supercharged doc but then not charge $36/user just to do the most basic part of a doc–adding a page. That’s like making google docs free but not allowing people to create a google doc. This change has meant that my team has to keep using google docs, which basically defeats the entire purpose of us using coda as a one-stop-shop.

3 Likes

Copy / Paste - no real listening

This is a big issue for our organization. We migrated from Google Sites to coda for better documentation tool and now with the pricing change, it is like handicapping the team by not allowing to create or move documents easily. This calls for a reason to get out of coda and move back to google sites or another tool. Its not cost sustainable with this change and defeats the purpose of a documentation tool.

2 Likes

Agreed. Not being able to create pages basically makes the tool useless for collaboration.

I have taken some time to think about this update and I think it’s the wrong approach for coda and the spirit of teams and the one single source of truth mantra. Pages are core to the coda experience. Why bring people to coda if allowing them to use codas key functions costs more? To me doc makers are admins that should have special access to settings, locking features, automations, packs, and ai tools. Editors should have access to page creation and all the functionality that comes with it.

Doc makers should also being able to create their own permissions within their docs and be able to limit users and certain elements while not broadly applying these changes to everything. Like being able to limit who can add remove data from certain tables.

If coda wants to increase revenue I think they need to stop doing it by restricting their users. It doesn’t play well long term as a promising value proposition especially since your capabilities could get stripped at a moments notice.

I have always thought coda thinks way too small and have primarily chased tech users and those in software development. If the developers should have learned anything from their users is that the application for their product is infinite. They should lean into it more.

Coda prides itself on being a tool that can do it all. Well prove it. Instead of restricting users allow them to build tools, monetize them and coda takes a cut. Everything from mortgage calculators, Crm systems, point of sale software, and everything in between that makes small businesses run. Millions of people out there use a hodge podge of tools to run their small business whether it’s landscaping or cake decorating and needs something flexible that doesn’t just fit into a Quickbooks extension.

Instead when I come to the doc list for project management solutions I get two way write ups and overly simplified task trackers. I want to see real solutions for everyday people. You know how many people absolutely hate the time tracking apps out there for managing their employees hours? Everyone! How many landscapers use either an extremely expensive app or a notebook to track their business. Every single one of them! Coda could be a solution for everyone, if you just took everyone into consideration. Nobody knows what a dory is outside of the tech industry and your lack of awareness of other problems outside of tech is glaringly obvious to people like me.

I have been using coda for project management and sales of landscaping and construction products for years. I can’t code for crap and yet the basic functionality of coda has allowed me to build everything from a full crm and proposal generator, to a pg&e bill calculator, to a fantasy football analysis doc.

My point is if you are looking to make more money don’t just keep dividing up the pie into smaller more expensive pieces. Make more pies for more people and lean into your ability to make useful tools for lots of different industries.

4 Likes

HI Phil,

I think that the above comment negates 80-90% of the complaints that you have against Coda. I do not think that Coda “chases tech users and software developers”. Your comment above shows that non-techies, like you, like myself, can build really great tools. You have listed a few that you did, and I have built something for use at work which, I think, add tremendous value. And the only formulas in there is filters and relational links.

Your main gripe actually seems to be about the change in the treatment of pages:

But the core to the Coda experience is not pages, but tables, with their accompanying canvas columns. It has several advantages over a page driven approach.

R
P

1 Like

hi @Piet_Strydom ,

People who take the time to share their ideas, often care about the product and I believe @phil_purdy is such an example. I read his contribution as invitation to join a perspective on simple though important practical use cases. 2 way write ups and a Dory may have their value, but they do not speak to many people, certainly not outside the tech industry. Instead we need simple though powerful templates solving real world issues, that is the point I take away.

When it comes to adding pages as maker new problems arrive. My clients don’t want to have too many makers, not so much because of the money. It is more that makers can see a lot in the workspace, which is not what most companies prefer.

We all want to coda solutions that last.

Cheers, Christiaan

3 Likes

Hi Piet,
Appreciate your reply but I would have to completely disagree. I do not believe the way I came to coda erases 80-90% of my concerns with it. The only reason I found coda is because I found Notion first. There is no advertising or marketing that would bring a person like me to coda organically. The only reason I found notion is because I was looking for cheap and easy to use documentation tools.

Now that I’m with Coda I whole heartedly believe its one of the best systems available for people like me, who needs an all in one solution that is flexible enough to handle many different use cases. But I definitely dont believe I got here due to any effort on Codas part. When first trying to figure out if Coda would work for me I go to their homepage and see the businesses they are working on. All tech. Then I look up the different Docs available and again its all tech industry writeups and tools for software teams. Then I look into the owner and it makes sense he came from Google and was building a combination of google docs and sheets. Brilliant!

But there is almost nothing to guide a non tech saavy person to this platform, you get here by accident or by refferal.

Now I beleieve Coda can handle tons of small everyday use cases that would be better accepted by a large majority of users. Things like recipes, journaling, documenting vacations or planning for one. Its not so much a gripe, Its more just untapped potential. Coda could dismantle Quickbooks, it could take over alot of microsofts ecosystem if only people knew about it. And my frustrations come when they try to develop ways to monetize by removing pages from editors and seem to ignore all that potential.

But the core to the Coda experience is not pages, but tables, with their accompanying canvas columns. It has several advantages over a page driven approach.

But dont all tables start at the page level? the Page is the foundation even if the true power of a interlinked document comes from tables. Some people write blogs, and forcing them to not use one half of the coin and making them use canvas columns to make a new page is just an odd work around.

I think @Christiaan_Huizer understood my frustrations. This platform is fantastic but its obvious its not reaching the people who truly need it. Small businesses. People who would be attracted to codas flexibility and pricing model, who can use it like I and you have to create tools for our business that other more expensive options are too rigid or expensive to accomplish. I think this is how we solve the monetization / firewalling features problem. Instead of worrying about catching as much money as they can from current users and teams, they should aggresively start marketing as an all in one solution for any problem you may have. I think a couple hackathons/ maker workshops to get the makers to come up with unique everyday solutions for people would be wise. A couple users have spent time on docs like this like @Micah_Lucero who made an excellent time tracking doc. This is the stuff Coda needs. Everyday Solutions for Everyday People.

6 Likes

Of course, the pages are the heart of coda. That’s also the case with any other comparable software. Pages are data records. And tables are the framework that carries data records.

I am listening to these points being raised by enthusiastic makers - and I hope Coda is listening also.

However…

My own experience does not align with the issues raised above.

My clients value Coda for what it allows them to build - they get enourmous value (real dollars) from the benefits that Coda provides - the ability for non-developers to build excellent workflows that automate complex business processes.

Because of that value, they have no issues paying for Coda. They see the price-per-maker for basic Coda and for unlimited AI Credits as excellent value for money.

And…

Both they and myself WANT Coda to make lots of money from fully-paid-up makers. Thats the only way to ensure that this amazing product continues to be funded and improved.

So…

I see the debate in terms of what features should be made available free-of-charge and what features should be paid-for.

In that regard, I believe Coda is getting the balance correct. And my clients seem agree as well.

Respect
Max

1 Like