Coda 4.1 suggestion

Hello @Coda_hq,

It is clear that a lot of coda users love Coda for what it can do, for it’s ease of use and all of that for a friendly price. And yes, the wish list is still long, but the accomplished list is also quite long.

I have been a Coda user for about 5 years now and I am very happy about where Coda stands today. There are quite a few things on the wish list that would make my life easier, but between functions, accessibility, performance and price there is, for me, no way to go back to other of more traditional tools.

Lately, there have been quite a few negative postings in this community. I feel sorry for all the people that have seen their carefully crafted workflows being damaged by the new restrictions (because I cant call them anything other than restrictions) introduced with 4.0. At the same time, I understand that it is an impossible situation to have teams with 10’s of users acting almost like makers to use Coda out of ONE subscription.

I personally feel that the complaints about 4.0 are not completely fair, but I sympathize (to some extend) with how some people feel a bit ‘betrayed’. A lot of makers represent small companies and getting a maker license for each editor (at the current rates) can quickly get (too) expensive.

In my opinion it would be fair to get more income out of all these (team) subscriptions where so many editors have roles that are more similar to makers then to just (plain) editors (of existing copy and pages). But rather then forcing these editors to get a full team subscription, a ‘maker lite’ subscription as an add on would probably soften the pain. Something like a $3 per month for each additional maker- lite would bring a lot of extra income, and would not break the bank for most users. Even sold in packs (like 25 makers-lite for the price of one extra maker) would probably double the revenue and still be a fair price. This last option would actually be a subscription plan in between the team- and enterprise-plan and still exclude some functions (like making new docs), but allow for what we have had the last couple of years (at a greater revenue for Coda). Personally, I would prefer to see different types of limitations for these makers-lite, like the inability to make new tables, add buttons, build automations, etc., which for me seem to be really maker type actions, and not editor’s type actions.

While I am writing this I can’t imagine you (Coda_hq) haven’t had these thoughts yourself, but since I don’t see comments or answers towards a solution that is acceptable for all, I feel urged to share my thoughts.

All of the above does not directly apply to AI, for which you already promised to look for an acceptable solution.

Looking forward to 4.1 of 5.0: I feel pretty confident that I will be around for quite a while longer.

Greetings, Joost

5 Likes

Thanks for the write up @joost_mineur

I’d like to see makers as makers and editors not as makers light. This post of @Nad explains how I’d like to see things going:

A follow up on his ideas would solve many problems at once under the condition that Coda is open to review their pricing

We all are okay with Coda making money and i understand why community members get upset by the overly positive communication.

Like Joost, I am most of the time simply delighted to work in and with Coda and so far I do not see good reasons to move to another SaaS. However when working with clients, clear boundaries help.

Cheers, Christiaan

5 Likes