Coda now has charts <- Reactions?

Charts are a welcome addition and the initial interface is great.

On stacked bar and line area graphs, maybe others, it would be nice if the ordering I set for the different series of data was reflected on the graph. E.g. on both of those graph types, if I reorder the series, it doesn’t change which series is on the bottom vs. top of say, a stacked bar.

Am I missing something that lets me do this?

2 Likes

Totally on board with the idea of having the ability to make them smaller. It would be sweet if they could act like inline formulas in addition to the tables they already are. That way I could create a table full of charts and dynamically reference them

1 Like

I agree with this, I think that order of columns should be reflected in all interfaces. Normally, I would be concerned about this because it could create unexpected results (e.g. someone moves a row around and now you no longer recognize your data), but I think because of how easy it is to create Views this isn’t an issue.

Don’t want your graph affected by the order of the columns in your Table? Just create a View of that Table, order them how you please, and reference the View for your Chart. Now it will stay unchanged when the original Table needs to be modified.

For my part, I want Gantt charts to be zoomable like bubble charts are. It would be nice if there were indicators showing that there are more events outside my view when I’m really zoomed in, as well. I need too many multi year Gantt charts that also have fine grained weekly details. Some way to navigate those levels of specificity would be great.

1 Like

I agree for the Gantt charts zoom. I also would like to see different time zones in the same line (like grouping).

1 Like

How did I some how get onto an endless email tread

Column ordering would be vital to the use case I’m thinking of. I can’t think where leaving them static – out of sync with the data – would be desirable (except maybe as an audit trail - but then you could just copy the data/chart and work on the copy).

2 Likes

You lucky guy, you get to hear from all of us

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting this! We overlooked this and are working on a fix.

1 Like

Hi @CHAIM_HIRSCH - you can click unsubscribe in the email thread and you should stop getting emails for this thread.
You can also change your preference on this thread or for the whole Current Events by switching Watching to Watching First Post- https://cl.ly/3b3y2E38240C/Screen%20Recording%202018-07-13%20at%2010.36%20AM.gif
I have changed that for this in the admin console category.

1 Like

As more data, I was also added onto this thread without trying to subscribe to it.

Trendline’s would be really nice in the bar and scatter charts. Also when you reorder the data that is graphed it has no impact on the chart.

@Shannon_Massingill This should be working, but there are some exceptions like if your non value axis are dates or numeric the order will be fixed to ascending (for layouts other than bar chart). If you still think the sort isn’t working as expected I’d love to take a look at a if you want to share the doc or small reproduction.

1 Like

It re-sorts now when you change the data type but not for a linked chart.

Tell me how to share/send an example and I’ll show you.

The way to share a doc by going to your dashboard and selecting the three dots to the right of a Doc name.

You can share any examples you have with support@coda.io. Thanks!

Ah, I misunderstood, my bad.

Thanks for sharing your example. I realize now that you meant manually moving rows, not applying sorts to your current view, which is what I had assumed. I’ll have a fix out in the next build, probably hitting production on Monday.

Yes - manually moving rows, not sorting. The chart changes when switching between grid and chart mode but the linked one doesn’t. Thanks for the update.

A post was split to a new topic: How can I get a chart per single industry