Will charts make it to Coda?

Is there any plan for adding in the future the possibility of creating charts from the tables in Coda?

I have to say I was surprised there is no way of visualising data that Coda is so good at working with. There is a kind of awkward way of building bar charts using the Rectangle() function, but it’s very “primitive”, and I see no immediate way of drawing line charts or pies, not to mention scatter plots and other more advanced viz.

3 Likes

Hello there, look at the formula help, there are a bunch of formulas for charts, like piechart and barchart :slight_smile:

Ha, I should have studied better :slight_smile:

They are still very basic though, no scatter plot or line chart for example, and I don’t see an obvious way of customising colours etc. It would be nice to know what the roadmap is with regard to charts.

1 Like

I totally agree with you. The whole shapes part could be better. I would love much more options to track our projects in a beautiful way, but I’m confident, they already done a lot of beauty :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am very very interested in having some kind of chart or graph ability that outdoes the existing options. Especially, if it means the Codans could apply their incredible design abilities to it and if they implement charting with the same creative freedom that Coda allows in docs/tables.

@evan is this something we could see one day? Does graphing and charting fit in the current product roadmap? Is there a document we have missed reading?

Also, are you the right person to ask about this?

2 Likes

Hi all! Charts are definitely on our radar. Would love to collect more specific input - what kinds of charts do you want? What type of data would you want to chart? What level of customization do you need / not need?

Especially interested in the more complex / non-obvious ways you might use charts.

Thanks!
Nathan

1 Like

@nathan is your guy for this topic in particular! But feel free to ping me whenever you have questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really I’m just waiting for simple Line graphs.

In my previous experience I found myself needing bar charts and scatter plots.
Probably the basic chart types a library like ChartJS offers would be a more complete set though (line chart, area chart, bar chart, radar, polar area, pie chart and scatter plot).

As far as customizations, we might want to be able to customize x and y-axis labels, labels’ formats (eg. if it’s a date I might want to display it in a certain way), the color scale, and not much else as a start.

One nice extra would be the possibility of combining lines and bars in the same chart.

These are my thoughts anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In addition to the other feedback on this thread, it would be good to have the ability to graph multiple series of data on the same graph, e.g. a stacked bar graph, or multi-line line graph.

My instinct was to try a List of Lists for the values argument to a LineGraph.

You’d need to consider labels for the series and legends perhaps.

It would also be nice if I could drag an edge/corner of the resulting graph to make it bigger (increase the dimensions in the formula).

1 Like

Another vote for charts, you know the basic types, bar, line, pie, etc…

1 Like

That feature would be awesome. +1

1 Like

Hi all, we’ve got some exciting new charts coming soon! We’d love your feedback as we put on the finishing touches.

If you’d like first access to try them out and give us feedback, send me a private message. Let me know if you’d like access for your entire domain (if you’re not using a gmail account). Or, send the URLs of specific docs and we can turn on the beta charts there.

Thanks!
Nathan

6 Likes
1 Like

I’d appreciate some Radar/spider charts. Those could really help out our business

2 Likes

Also trend lines would be helpful

1 Like

Bumping this. I love that Coda has charting capabilities, but I wish there were more control options. More granular sorting/filtering in the data & layout menus would be awesome. Better yet, a wrapper to a full charting library so we can generate charts programmatically would be killer.

Hi Coda! Has there been any movement on providing a more fullsome and production grade chart experience? Dealing with multivariate trend data is the bread and butter of every app and dashboard I make, and I’d love to be able to use Coda.

1 Like