Conditional format if two columns contain the same text?

Hi! I am having such a hard time putting my question into words to search for it, and it is probably a very simple answer. So, I thank you for your patience and help in advance :slight_smile: [TLDR; I am looking for a formula that says if the subtask name is the same as the task name, give me this color].

I have the classic tasks and subtasks tables, and I want to use the subtasks table (grouped by task) as the main view for my team, so they can see all the subtasks. I have an automation set up to auto-add a subtask to a task if there isnโ€™t one already so that they all show up in the subtasks table. What I would like to do is set up a conditional format rule to highlight any rows that have the same task and subtask name (essentially any task that technically does not have any subtasks).

So, I am just looking for a formula that says if the subtask name is the same as the task name, give me this color. Unfortunately, subtask = task is not working. Or, if a task group only has one subtask. That would work too!

Thank you!

Hi @Amanda_Farris,

Since you are comparing relations they are classed as objects and while they have the same name they will not be considered the same.

Option 1: Use the ToText formula to compare their written value.

Option 2: Formula that filters the current table to all subtasks where the Task is the same as the current rowโ€™s Task and count the result.

I hope that this helps.

All the best.

Dale

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your help! These both solve my problem :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.