Consolidating Tasks Across Multiple Documents: Seeking Advice on Best Practices

Hi Coda Community,

I hope this message finds you well. I’m currently working on an onboarding use-case for my clients and would appreciate your guidance.

I have two clients, Client 1 in Doc 1 and Client 2 in Doc 2, and each of them has their own set of tasks that need to be completed. I want to consolidate these tasks into a single document, Doc 3, so that I can track the overall progress of both clients in one place.

I’ve explored several options to achieve this, including using the Lookup formula to pull data from different tables. However, since the tasks are stored in different documents, I’m struggling to consolidate them.

One solution that I’m considering is using cross-doc to link the tasks from Doc 1 and Doc 2 to a master table in Doc 3. This way, I can track the tasks across both clients and generate reports from the combined data.

However, I’m new to cross-doc and would appreciate any advice or best practices that you can share. Are there any potential pitfalls that I should be aware of? How can I ensure that the data remains up-to-date and accurate?

If cross-doc isn’t the best option for this use-case, I’m open to other suggestions as well. Please feel free to share any insights or tips that you may have.

Thank you in advance for your help. I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter."

Hi @Nigee_Engel :blush: !

The Great Wizard @Paul_Danyliuk covered Cross-doc Best practices in here :point_down:

Maybe this could help you getting started :blush:

1 Like

Thanks @Pch i’m giving it a watch now.

Do you think thats the best way to approach my usecase?

Well, it’s not that it’s the best way to approach your use case, it’s one of the only way to get to your desired result :blush: : Either cross-doc or webhook :blush:

You might want to check this blog post written by @Christiaan_Huizer for the webhook alternative :

It goes with his free webhook pack :blush:

Those would be at the moment the only ways to get everything in a 3rd doc AFAIK :blush:

Thinking about though, if you don’t need to interact directly with your Client’s docs, you might also want to check the quite new full page embed feature.

This would allow you to create a “window” opening on your client’s doc (I’m saying a “window” as a full page embed of a Coda page from another Doc is “read only” at the moment… you can find a little bit more info about the future of this feature :point_right: here, as it might interest you regarding the question you asked not so long ago when it comes to single-page sharing :blush: )

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.