Currency in Table Symbol Display

I know this has kind of been covered before but I will ask the question in a slightly different context.

Hello all,
I have a set of calculations I am doing across a table (See imaged attached). Each column is in Yen. The final column displays the numbers in US dollars.
To get the USD column to DISPLAY the Symbol I need to make sure the calculation performed within the USD column is done on NUMBERS and not CURRENCY. To do this I need to keep the previous columns formatted to a NUMBER rather than a CURRENCY. This is not ideal but my current workaround.
Note I am doing my own calculation to convert from one currency to another so I am not looking for this type of functionality.

Is there any way to force or make each of the columns display the Symbol of choice (Β₯ or $) or is there any plan to change the functionality of this column type?

Cheers,
Sean

1 Like

Hey Sean,

You can use ToNumber() in your calculations. That sorts it out. I’ve come across this situation before.
[Column 1].ToNumber()+[Column 2].ToNumber()

So the columns can be any currency.
Hope this helps!
Michael

Hi Michael,

Yes, This almost worked.

Have you ever seen this before. I have two cells that do not think they contain a number.
I have traced the data trail for these cells and cannot explain why it does not recognize them.

Note they do not have the $ Symbol next to them but the number is calculated correctly.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Sean.

Hey Sean,

Sorry, just noticed your reply.

My guess is that Coda sees the comma in β€˜458,265.6’ and assumes it’s a string! You might have to remove it, maybe for the whole column just to be safe.

Maybe with a new column and something like =Substitute(thisRow.[Total plus Buffer - Yen], β€œ,” , β€œβ€)

Hope this helps or, better yet, that you have already solved this issue. :slight_smile:

1 Like