Display each item in each row

I am new to coda.io coming from notion , I have three Tables

1. Products
    ![image|690x230, 75%](upload://fiKx4Dwmmi0umXT1xIkfUofaEOq.png)
  2. Materials
    ![image|690x304, 75%](upload://bJq8no5fVaIu0bgLQisnaMgDpqo.png)
  3. Vendors
    ![image|690x386, 75%](upload://g45Prxef49SddrQcQf7CgGu4VQY.png)

as you can see in Materials table the Product Name showing the results of two product sepreated by comma , where as i wanted to display each row with each product instead of merging them , so that i can make the Material Order Date properly , right now if i assign a date to Product A800 for material Blister it will get assigned to A700,A800 both which i dont want. Is it possible in Coda ?

I want to display something similar to below , can someone help me give any suggestion or guide .

EDITED: I dont know why it does not allow me to post more then one image , any solution for that?

1 Like

Hi @Chain_Reaction, welcome to the community.

I think the forum won’t let you post multiple images simply because you’re new.

If I get your problem right — in Coda you cannot display more rows than there are in a table. By that I mean, if you have 2 Materials, and each Material has 2 Products linked, there’s no way to automatically make a view that will have 4 rows for all material-product pairs.

What I’d suggest in your case is to make a separate “join” table e.g. Products and Materials where one row will link one product to one material, and you’ll have other columns relevant to the product-material pair. You’ll use this instead of linking Materials to Products directly. Then in your Materials and Products table you’ll rewrite your lookup formulas to pull relations from that join table and calculate some aggregated values if required.

That’s the Coda approach overall: bottom up. You design your data tables as granular as you need for your case, then aggregate when going up. I.e., the other way around than you’re asking for.

@Paul_Danyliuk
Thank you very much for taking time to reply to my post. I have try multiple times but i am not able to visualize your above method , is it possible if you can make a example and share with me . ?

Regards

Dear @Chain_Reaction

Please have a look at this basic example:

What’s more, if I understand correctly, as you build these tables, you can see the full context of each row, with subtables in the views of respective rows in each table. ie if I wanted to add to “Wood” things like “type of wood” and “vendor,” I can add see that detail in “table” row in the products table if I customize via the “customize Layout” feature and expand that lookup to display as a table, correct? And I can hide columns so that I only see in this embedded view what I’d like to see.

As I worked in Notion, there was nothing close to this level of detail and customization, which I really needed.

In fact I believe this is related to the problem @Paul_Danyliuk is helping me with over here:

I have not had a chance to try this embedding of subtables if we are talking about related hierarchical items from the same table, but hoping that will work more or less the same as with related items from different tables and lookups.

Its been a while , as i was travelling and not able to work on my coda project . Here i have created the manually Materials table to elaborate more , i am sorry for my english as english is not my native language.

is there any way to achieve the above in coda ?

regards

Dear @Chain_Reaction

Yes this is possible.

One solution could be to add a checkbox column in your table
Mark the ones not of your interest anymore and filter them out.
Strongly recommend to create a view of your main database and to filter only this one for your needs.

For a more professional approach, I recommend to check out this post:

Capture `History` of changes / Create Log of changes to important value of record Credits to: @Krunal_Sheth

:bulb: At the bottom of the post is also a link to a sample document

I think my explanation was not good enough I want to display each material related to that product in each row instead of combined in one row instead as shown above in the first few posts

Dear @Chain_Reaction,

If I understand well you want to group by “Product”?

Please see this reference

No it’s not group , I want each material assign to product display in each row in material table

Dear @Chain_Reaction,

Would you mind to share a dummy copy of your doc?

I have tried before several times by hitting the share button but every time i get this error message as attached.

image.png

1 Like

Dear @Chain_Reaction

I have the same problem. How did you fix it?

Its a bit late in reply , but i still not able to fix it .

i was finally able to share the link of doc below.

" https://coda.io/d/Products-Vendors_dJj6gJnzrXI "

please do check it and if you can help me with that.

Dear @Chain_Reaction,

For sure I will support you, but I will need to understand some of the logic behind your decisions.

• In the table at the column “Material Name”, each instance in this column should be unique!
  • In your case for both products the material names and related Material Vendors are the same
  • As you can see in Material Table, you are using “Blister”, “Cartons” and “Colorbox” twice causes a conflict having instances that are not unique. Often SKU’s are used in warehouses, to secure unique naming for parts with the same name, but having slightly differences
  • What is the essential difference between Product A700 and A800, as the same materials are used?

This is actually the reason that you can not display them one under the other as the materials are the same!

@Jean_Pierre_Traets
Thank you very much for reply.

it is not unique because Blister , Cartons are generic materials which can be used in many different products.

Yes, actually right word would be Vendors , which includes all vendors for products and for materials as well.Or you can let me know any other approach for it.

as i explained above , these materials are common and can be used in many products.

they are totally different , in size , shape , vendors are different too. It is using the Blister and Cartons as well though it will be different in size but our warehouse mark them as ( material name + product name ) for example Blister-A700 ,or A800-Blister. We dont have SKU’s approach for these packing materials.

Please bare with me for two things , 1st my english is not very good. 2nd i might sound stupid in approach but in that case i would like you guys give me correct approach i am open to any ideas , i just want to solve my probelms so i can manage this work on coda instead of EXCEL or manually.

Dear @Chain_Reaction,

I just decided to develop your already build sample doc to a often used lay-out.
If something is missing, just tell me and I will add it on :thinking:, but let’s do it step by step to assure we focus on the subject and result.

Please advise if this is the direction you are looking for?

Thats great, its looks good. But again i am facing the same problem as previous , if you check the Material Table the product A800 and A900 both is showing together , where as i want to display separately , the reason of doing that because i want to track of each material of that particular product , like which date it was order , is it pending or done already , why it is pending etc , but if merge two product i wont be able to achieve that.I have also update the materials table to give me more practical look it might help me to explain my idea.

I try my best to explain if you still have question please feel free anytime to ask me.