Before you roll out a detailed permission system, you could first do the following: add a new lock icon to the rest of the table options / icons which opens a pop-up menu with a set of checkboxes
- disable adding / removing columns
- disable adding / removing groups
- disable changing column types
- disable changing group types
- disable re-ordering of columns
- disable re-ordering of rows
This would disable (as needed) most of the in-place editing controls when a user hovers over various areas and prevents people from accidentally doing actions they shouldn’t do in that view.
For example in your public coda.io release doc, I added a new group to the table. Sorry for that but it shows the problem.