I tried to sync cross-doc table, but I failed to do this, after I dragged the table to doc, it takes a long time to sync and nothing come out at the end. The message showed “An error occurred while trying to get a connection for Cross-doc”, what should I do?
I’m seeing the same problem as well.
I’m also having the same issue!
Guys… this is happening also to me…
Here everything looks fine… but I changed several browser, several connection…
CROSS DOCS ARE NOTE WORKING for, I hope, some users. Unfortunately I’m experiencing issues as well…
Apologies about the inconvenience - looking at the logs now, it seems that our Pack service did experience issues last night/ earlier in the day - but the disruption wasnt widespread where it would alert the on-call engineer - service should be back to normal now.
if you are still experiencing issues, please reply back here or reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or via in product chat.
We are experiencing the same problems. I just contacted support
I’m seeing the same problem as well - left a not in the in-doc chat.
It just sits forever looking like this :
There were some intermittent issues that the team is looking into. It’s being worked on.