Filtering a table

Hi. The more I use coda, the more I like it. I wish there were more in-depth videos explaining advanced ways of filtering a table, how to use sequence() and formulaMap and other advanced formulas…

I’ve been trying to filter a table that, at first, it seemed simple thing to do but I just can’t do it.
Can someone help me? Thank you

https://coda.io/@breno-nunes/filtering-fruit

I know I still struggle with filtering at times.
But I’m getting better. I’ll give it a go helping you…
but I can’t quite get what you’re trying to do… what behaviour do you want the flavor table to have? Does the third “fruit” table have any relationship at all to your question?

Hi. Thank you your help. The column fruit in the flavor table is a lookup column of the third table “fruit”.
If I change “choose a fruit.First” in my filter formula to “banana” it works just fine. But the problem happens when I’m referencing another row in another table.

I’m not in coda right now - but my guess is that you’re trying to filter by a table. I’d try
fruit.contains(choose a fruit.chosen fruit).first()

Hi, Brendan
Thank you. I tried but it didn’t work.

I uploaded a video that I believe shows the issue.
Could you please take a look?
Hi, @BenLee, @Ander, please, could you guys, help me
https://coda.io/@breno-nunes/filtering-fruit

@Breno_Nunes

fruit.First()=thisRow.fruit :point_left: These both reference a row in the table [fruit]. These ARE able to match.

[choose a fruit].First()=thisRow.fruit :point_left: One references the first row in table [choose a fruit] and the other references a row in table [fruit]. A row from one table is NOT able to match a row from a different table (without doing some extra stuff).

Play with the blue fields in the below doc.

Study the formulas in the yellow fields.

2 Likes

@Ander
Thank you very much for your help.
I really really really appreciate it :smiley:
I found out another way of doing it after reading your post.
[choose a fruit].First().[chosen fruit]=thisRow.fruit.fruit
I “dereferenced” both side of the formula as shown above.
I tried that before but only on one side. I thought that thisRow.fruit was already “dereferenced”.
But it’s not. Funny.
Again, thank you for taking your time to help me.

Breno

1 Like