Find diff between two version of same Coda document

It would be awesome if we could see the diff between two revisions of the same coda document or a way to know what has been changed in that particular revision.

12 Likes

Agreed - the History is great, but there are so many listings in the History that it’s next to impossible to tell what has changed, especially in a long doc.

Also agreed, as a content editor I’m interested in using Coda to formally manage our document workflow, but right now we’re having to rely on third-party services to show where edits are taking place.

Don’t get me wrong, having a revision history is pure gold, but if it highlighted where edits had been made and could show what it used to be (perhaps on hover over or in red/green highlighting like GitHub or Draft) then it would solve a major headache in our process.

1 Like

This would also be great. Even simply having sections of a doc page highlighted in yellow to show a change would be useful. Having a doc update, but be unable to tell someone what has changed, makes the workflow very susceptible to confusion as information changes

This request has been open for 2 years, and it would have just saved my team a lot of annoying work in figuring out what changed between a last-known-good that we found through binary searching and the “top of tree” version of the document. I understand that actually diffing a document is hard (you’d have to create before/after versions of each page side by side along with colorized annotations of what was added / modified / deleted and then, since you’re there, you might as well implement a “pick version 1 or version 2” button, and …). That said, even having a CODA “export to yaml” or something would be more than enough because then I could feed the data to an external diff tool and spot the differences by eye. Yes? PLEAAAASE?? :smile:

3 Likes

Just giving this a +1. Would also be incredibly useful if this functionality could be exposed as a formula to produce a diff of two inputs, e.g. diff(beforeValue, AfterValue) outputs formatted text with additions in green underlined and deletions in red strikethrough. We already use Coda as a kind of CMS for content that appears in different places across our org (i.e. a CMS in the general sense, not specifically for a website). Coda does an amazing job of managing our version control and workflows around this content, but being able to auto-diff changes and present them back to users as part of the workflow would take things up another level.

This is literally the only blocker for moving our team from Google Docs to Coda. It would be a nightmare to review changes in specifications if we don’t know what was changed.

Now partly delivered!

Have there been any changes to this feature in the last year? What was not implemented at the time?

1 Like