Get Coda Icons in your docs

:wave: Hey there!

I’ve always believed that If you don’t have a document you enjoy looking at and using, frankly it doesn’t matter how useful it is - you won’t end up using it.

In every doc I make I am constantly thinking about the user-interface and how to make documents easier to use and frankly, more beautiful. Something I’ve always wanted though are those nifty Icons on the side-bar that you can assign to pages. You know, these things:

Well I finally found a way to get them into tables, as select columns, into the canvas, and more. Check out the doc below to see and then start using for yourself or click here to open the doc → Icons Doc

(Shameless Plug: If you don’t have time to work through all these tables but still want documents that are fast, intuitive, and frankly look great - I work as an expert Coda doc builder for hire! Reach out and lets chat if you are at all interested → scott@simpladocs.com)

13 Likes

@Scott_Collier-Weir, well done indeed.
i am grabbing this and plan to use it.

buying you somecoffees for sure

i had tried something like this earlier

but nothing like as ELEGANT and POWERFUL as your document

salut
max

2 Likes

@Scott_Collier-Weir , very well done!

2 Likes

Nice catalog! And nice use of the canvas columns as well. Wondering how you’re extracting them — is there any API beyond what I reported earlier, or are you just testing through the icons8 library to see what works?

BTW these icons can be set programmatically onto pages. There’s an Update Page API endpoint (IIRC also available through the Cross-doc pack), and the name of the icon with dashes like google-docs (the part before .svg) is the one to use.

No API beyond what you reported - You are correct, simply some URL manipulation figuring out which ones land (produce an image) and which ones don’t. Trial and error!

2 Likes

Very cool! This will be so useful

1 Like

Here’s the link to buy @Scott_Collier-Weir a Ko-fi! I know I did. Thank you for this amazing doc!

3 Likes

Link https://ko-fi.com/scottweir

3 Likes

Hi - new to Coda here and trying to make use of this document. I copied it over into a page in my doc but I don’t know how to actually use the icons from the cards in my documents. I’m trying to use them alongside the title of sections in my page. How can I do that?

No need to use this document!

You can actually just right click on any icon, copy it’s image address, and then use that copied image address in the Coda image() formula

Do you mean when accessing the icons listed in the cards view in the All Icons section of this document you created, or elsewhere? I’m going into the All Icons section and right clicking but only get options to jump into the card and copy and paste the url - which I was able to do using the formula as you suggested! But seems like I’m not following the same steps you were.

In any doc you have! You don’t need my doc listed in the original post whatsoever

1 Like

Appreciate your response!