Getting Contains() to work with Multiselect Columns

Here’s what I’m trying to do:
‘Person’ table contains a list of people, and it contains a multiselect column for skills. This multiselect column is looking up the skills from a separate table.
I want to create a view of the Skills table, for which I can use a Select tool, select a person, and the skills table view will show me just the rows for that person’s skills.

So here’s the code I attempted for the filter on this view:
[Person Table].Filter(Name=[Person Select].Name).Skills.Contains(thisRow.[Skill Name])

And this works… but only if the person has just one skill selected. If the person has two or more skills selected, this view is blank. I’ve also written a similar formula using ‘In()’, and got the same result with it. Why isn’t this working and what do I need to change to make this work for my multiselect entries?

So I think the issue is not in the formula itself but rather the control. If you are using a select list control instead of a multi-select control you get the behavior you describe.

I actually set up a test doc to replicate what you are doing and ran into the same issue - I was using image instead of image . After some frustration I tried an Interactive Filter:

Which worked and was what I was going to recommend, but it was bugging me as to why that would work and not the other method. The only difference I noticed was in the formula and how the select controls were handled differently:

I Imagine if you switch to a multi-select control your filter should start working as expected. The other option is to use the interactive filter and have Coda create the control for you.

@James_Eades

The data types don’t match: row vs text.

Image 2020-05-20 at 10.10.13 AM

Yup - found that out when looking into this and why I provided the screenshots :slight_smile:

Woops, wasn’t reading super close. :upside_down_face:

This is a great answer because it gave me a couple different approaches to solving my problem, plus taught me something to watch for when making formulas in the future!

Thanks!