Getting data of a big table from other documents

Hi,
In a doc I have a database with more than 80 000 rows (Postal codes, Cities, etc.
Other docs need to get access to this table.
For example, in other docs I would only put the Postal code in a cell and all others cells would retrieve datas from the first big table…

I searched a few hours how I could access the main table from all docs…
I suppose that’s not possible to do it without the Cross-doc packs as I don’t meet the syntax to create references to my main table from other documents…
At least with Cross-doc pack I can create reference but…
This seems to work only if I put a table from the Cross-doc pack into my page first and then, as the main table has more than 80 000 rows I only get a few numbers of rows…
If I delete the table from Cross-doc pack I cannot get anything from the main table.
Above all, I don’t really like to duplicate for each pages a so big table.

Is there a way to access directly the main table and use lookups to retrieve data from the main table?

Thanks

Huh. That’s an interesting need and could be a very good feature for my Sync Tables Pro pack.

Indeed, Coda limits sync tables (Cross-doc etc) to 10,000 rows.

However, it is possible to build this functionality with a on-demand loading of only searched rows.

With a custom pack like mine, I’d add a formula that would search for a row in that remote table and return one row as a result if found. Not very trivial though; I won’t solve it until sometime end of June probably.

Otherwise, this can be built as two webhooks: one to send a query to the postal codes doc, and another the opposite way, to push the requested row back into the doc that queried it.

Happy to help you build it as a freelance gig; DM me if you’re interested.

1 Like

Echo what Paul said.

The webhook query solution actually works wonderfully.

I have similar workflows running in 2 docs and it works like a charm

1 Like

Thanks to @Paul_Danyliuk and @Scott_Collier-Weir .
Your answers are always interesting…
But…
BUUUUUUTTTTTT…
Lol…
I didn’t put my nose into the Webhooks right now AND…
Even if I plan to do it I really don’t even have any idea of what I have to do…
Lol…
Well, not so funny…
I was not expecting:
1- Links to databases in the same Workspace having to use a Packs to be created and…
2- Tu have to put a so big table on all the pages where I need to make a query and then, having to load ALL the data of the database…
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:
:no_mouth:

Again…
By now I have no idea of how to only query data I need from the big database…

Anyway…
Thanks for your contributions but I start to think that after Notion, Coda too is not the tool I need to achieve my actual project quickly…

For what it’s worth, among all similar tools Coda would have the easiest path towards the solution.

From where I stand, the webhooks solution doesn’t look like a complicated one. Easily under an hour to set up.

It is not a trivial use case. But yeah, the perfect tool for it would be to spin up a proper SQL database where you’d be able to JOIN those indices at query time. You’d have, of course, to build some frontend around that database. And you have to know at least basic SQL.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.