How best to structure projects

Hi all,

I’ve moved over from Notion where it was fairly straightforward but in Coda I’m still trying to figure out how best to structure everything so that I have easy access within a given project whilst being able to restrict access. Ideally I’d like to replicate my Notion setup which looks like this:

PROJECTS

Client 1

• Project 1
    • Internal (not shared)
      • Budget
      • Brief
      • Notes
    • Client (shared with client only)
      • Project overview
      • Designs
      • Proposal
    • Freelancer (shared with freelancer only)
      • Shotlist
      • Revisions
  • Project 2 (structured as above

The idea is that the Client section in Project 1 (and all subpages) is shared with the client and the same goes for the Freelancer. Neither Client nor Freelancer has access to the Internal section or to anything other than their own respective sections.

So with the above in mind, what would be the best way to set this up?

Many thanks.

Hey @ole_sturm ! Thanks for reaching out. While this is not possible at this time, this sounds like a feature request the Coda team has been tracking. That said, we have moved this post into the Suggestion Box for other members of the Community to chime in on this. We’ve gone ahead and tracked your vote for this feature formally.

Hi Ole, sawubona,

Is this access read only, or update as well?

P

Hi Ole,

Follow up question - is there any overlap, inside a project, between the information in the different nodes?

Sawubona Piet. Unjani?

So as it happens, I’ve had to go back to Notion as I just needed to have a system in place that could work for all these upcoming projects. That’s not to say that I wouldn’t move back to Coda once I’ve figured it all out.

With regard to the access, both the client and the freelancer need to able to edit in their respective nodes. For example, the freelancer would need to mark items as “done” whilst the client would need to mark items as “approved”. Beyond that there is also some interaction in the form of either the freelancer or clien needing to upload reference images or information.

With regard to your other question I’m not sure I fully understand the question. Can you elaborate?

Ole

:wave:t5: @ole_sturm — sawubona, many thanks for your question and details!

I’ve recored a loom here, along with some sample docs below that should help answer your question and showcase some of what was behind @Piet_Strydom’s questions.

• Project hub (source doc)

• Client doc (container doc)

- Freelancer doc (container doc)

If you haven’t already, please read the sync page access control update I shared here.

Otherwise, do let us know what follow up questions you have and we’ll keep sharing updates as we have them, cheers!

3 Likes