Image in Concatenate() behavior has changed; images are now full size and cannot be resized

I have been using images in Concatenate() for several years to create wonderful effects. I use the thumbnail to show which user is assigned to a task.

As of yesterday March 9th, the behavior has changed, and when images are included in Concat() they now show ?full size, whereas before they inherited the size of the column preference. Image() is unable to resize them - any suggestions on how to tame the size?

2 Likes

Hello @Johg_Ananda!
I was playing with this a bit and it seems the Image() formula only works with URLs so instead of using an Image Column use an Image URL Column and then you can concatenate and use the Image() formula to resize the image to your liking.

Hey @Saul_Garcia thanks for your help. How can I use Image URL on an Image Upload type column?

It is a bit of a manual work unfortunately, as I haven´t found a way of extracting the URL from a User uploaded image in Coda.
To get it you open the image and right click it to get the URL

Then you paste it in a Text Column or Image URL Column and use the Image() formula referencing this column

OK I was able to hack a solution together with this solution from @Paul_Danyliuk

I used this code for my [Portrait] image upload column:

ParseJSON(_merge(thisRow.Portrait) + "", "#/publicUrl").first()

However it would be nice if @Codans could advise what is the best practice. The image behavior changed overnight across multiple docs.

6 Likes

can i ask what the intended behavior is? what is it supposed to look like? would love to embed images inline as well

Try the code! You can create the images with .concat() or ParseJSON() as described above. See which implementation works for your purpose @Swan_Song

I went ahead and tried it but there’s a very weird offset in the result.

It also causes issues when I attempt to use this field for a select list dropdown.

Any idea how to fix that?

I don’t know how really to fix it offhand, everytime something like this comes up for me I have to ‘re-learn’ it by experimenting with the different combinations of ways that we know to display the images in coda and then try to get the ux to be what I want based on the limits. The cool thing is we have some of these hacks, and you can really push coda pretty far in terms of making things happen! This make sense?

i mean i guess it makes sense, but it doesn’t help me much? i don’t have any direction on where to start when it comes to solving this issue. it feels like i’m poring over dusty old witchcraft books looking for home remedies to obscure problems lol

if there are hacks, it’d be nice to know what they are.