Is it possible to convert a string into a formula?

I’m looking for something like INDIRECT in sheets/excel.

In the same column I’d like to reference different arguments in different rows (like multiple named formulas that I used somewhere else in the doc).

So the question is can I type [table 1].[column 2] in a text type cell (without using the “=” sign in the beginning) and use it as a reference in a more complex formula in another column?

Thanks!

could you share your example?

My actual use case is that I’d like to create a smart contract assembly tool. The goal is to generate contracts by combining a long set of available section/term templates and link/merge the different variables to our data sets.

Here is my experience so far:

1st attempt:
Simple text + inline references:

This is cool but this way I can only use one set of sections/terms because as far as I know there is no option to hide/display a specific paragraph. Or is there such an option I just missed it?

2nd attempt:
To make it more flexible and database-like I started to use the =Format() function. Here I have a merge template and a list of variables:

This way I could create a table supposed to contain all the necessary inputs to generate all the available sections/terms:

This way based on the “Term type” column information I could generate filter the appropriate terms for the selected contract.

BUT the problem is that in Var1, Var2, Var3 etc… columns I’d need different references for each row. If I use the “=” sign when describing a reference for Var1 it gives the same reference for all rows.

3rd attempt / idea:
It’s still not the best option but if I could use the “Var” columns to define the references with simple text and somehow use the content of these cells as part of a complex formula (such as Format) that would be a great workaround for now:

I know this is might not be the ideal use case of coda tables at this point. But if you have any solution for this or a totally different idea to achieve the goal (contract assembly tool based on a long list of template terms/sections using variables) I’d be very thankful because I 'm out of alternative ideas at this point :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

Just wanted to note that this is a brilliant use case of Coda and I think would be an awesome feature to have available. I often find that even in simpler situations I would like the idea to set an environmental variable and use it repeatedly.

For example:

I have a lot of customers in a Customer Table.

For big customers, I want to display them in their own section.

I want to show a lot of information:
A View of the Customer Table with only the applicable customer.
Some bits of information that’s dependent on that table.
A Selector that allows the user to select attributes of the customer to show.

I can set an environmental variable with

Then I can copy and paste the contents to a new Section and all I have to do it change the customer_name for that sheet and it all updates!

All if it, that is, except for the Selector table because that relies on a reference to the name of the View of Customer Table, whatever I may have changed that to locally. This, of course, makes it break.

If there was a way to interpret a string as Coda syntax, then this would be much easier.

I could do something like:

table_to_reference = "[Table Name]"
table_to_reference.toCoda().Filter(...).[Column Name]

4 Likes