Launched: Ability to expand cell for better writing

Hi! Yep - it’s ready now!

I really like this feature, especially for inserting lists into text columns. One buggy thing I noticed as I’ve been using this new feature, though, is that when I use Ctrl-Z within the expanded cell view, it undoes every change I have made since opening the expanded view. This is a minor thing, but would help make this feature a little more easy to use. Good work!

I too think this is a great feature.

My experience has been that, if I don’t click Done, and exit the window then I lose all my work.

I’d like to see the following:

1. Changes were auto-saved (as there is already a Cancel Changes option), OR
  2. If auto-save isn’t possible, then a warning that changes are about to be lost
2 Likes

Oh God yes.

I can’t stress enough how important it is for a tool to feel robust.
I’m already paranoid of losing work after typing up half a page in a rich text cell and losing all my work after clicking away. However, this became a real issue after one of the other leads lost his work as well and now is complaining loudly to the rest of the team.

In this day and age people simply expect input to be remembered or safeguarded against loss, less so than changes and especially given the undo functionality.

2 Likes

Dear @Helena_Jaramillo,

There seems to be an issue with saving of the big text cell.

Would you mind to investigate and take the necessary actions

1 Like

Hi there - thanks for your feedback! We’re aware of the issues with saving text in big cell and hope to provide a better experience soon.

1 Like

Hi @GJ_Roelofs Sorry to hear about your data loss - we understand the kinds of problems that can create. We hope to provide a better experience soon!

1 Like

No worries, I have all the trust in the engineering team and am just here to help with the process.

Nice addition! Do you think it can be useful to make the column name editable?

Just wondering whether we could have an option that expands the cell even further - almost like converting it into a section.

I often have tables where one of the columns is called Notes. I’d love to be able click into a Notes cell and edit it as if I’m in a section (but presumably without the ability to insert tables).

I don’t know whether it would actually create a section, or simply look like I’m in a section. Either way, I’d also need an easy way (e.g. breadcrumbs) to go back to the parent table.

3 Likes

I assume that you mean have full capability in terms of adding in images etc, right?

From my perspective:

1. Must have - expand to full canvas and have all the existing expanded cell formatting options

2. Should have - additional rich formatting such as images, embeds and buttons

3. Could have - nested tables (but not sure how this would work)

4 Likes

We had feedback from some users who had lost data when leaving the tab open and clicking another link that re-opened the same doc and were then navigated away from the cell.

To reduce this sort of data loss we’ve added an autosave that will commit your cell every 10 seconds when in that mode.

In the future we hope to have fully collaborative editable cells but in the mean time hopefully this reduces the risk of any data loss.

4 Likes

Hi there, one time wasting issue I noticed:
When you double click to edit a very long text, its cell fully unrolls to display the whole content. Now you want to use the rich text function, so you scroll down cell to reach the icon you mentioned.
1)Could you consider to reveal the rich text icon when the cell is just selected with the first click, to prevent it unrolling? (2 clicks in total)
2)or even better would be to let the icon pop up on mouse over the cell, so that only 1 click is needed)

At the moment the whole process takes 3 clicks + 1 scroll

Cheers and thanks for the consideration.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this addition!