Launched: Coda 2.0, a simpler, cleaner, and faster doc for teams

I tried those integrations but I don’t use them. I use zapier for 1 table and thats all. I was managing it before in google sheets, but i like the coda interface better. … and its 120$ per year and the only thing I need is more “objects”, if you were me in this situation i don’t think you would choose it

I tend to agree

I am just trying it out in my spare time, but will be kicked off.

I just deleted my workspace on users that didnt have any docs and found a bug.
On logout and next login you have a NOT FOUND error page and no access to any coda stuff.

Personally I have only recently started using it and primarily for myself and even then cross doc is basically the most useful missing thing, think you should consider moving that down a tier as plenty of use cases that don’t involve a team of 7 people

3 Likes

I love Coda and have been using it since it first became available in pre-beta. This is a monumental day and congratulations on getting to this point. But how can you not make cross-docs available to users of the pro plan? That’s a deal killer.

10 Likes

I’ve got a quick question that have nothing to do with pricing :thinking:

Do I need to change something in “Locking and Permissions” for the docs I shared publicly here ?

and

If I do change something (specifically in “All Sections”, say going from “Full Control” to “Interact Only”) will that overwrite the “Can view or play” ? Will other users still be able to see the formulas ?

Sorry, I’m just a little bit confused about that :blush:

2 Likes

Something I’ve really liked about working at Coda is that we live in the product. When we work on a new feature, it’s rolled out to everyone in the company and we live in it. This helps us find bugs, but it also lets us know what is a fun and pleasant user experience and what is not.

This thought process and way of operating carried over to our pricing plans as well. Yes, we get a company Coda account for company use, but for personal accounts, we pay for those. Pricing has been a big topic and we really wanted to nail it. Part of that is living in it, having to write that check if we want a Pro or Team personal workspace. So here at Coda, we’re customers just like you!

Personally, I’ve found that the packs turn me instantly into a power user by giving me API features at the click fo a button with literally no code to write. That’s my reason for upgrading my personal workspace.

That said, I was also a big proponent for our Free Plan limits being high and found that nearly all of my docs could be brought within those limits relatively painlessly, most not needing changes at all. So I can make it in the Free Plan comfortably, but have chosen personally to go with the Pro Plan.

Lastly, I’ve been able to ditch other services that cost as much or more than Coda. So my net cost is $0 to less than $0.

All feedback is greatly appreciated, this is just my personal story.

3 Likes

Congrats to this fantastic achievement to the entire coda team! Coda 2.0 delivered the set of tools I need to work efficiently with my clients. In particular the new “cross-doc” feature allow to follow the “single source” production concept.
Keep on going with all the excellent work.

3 Likes

Welcome Coda 2.0 !!!

2 Likes

I also make Coda one of my essential apps. I will dismiss a bunch of other apps, so it even will save money at the end.

3 Likes

It really could use a free/included role that allows just a single simple action such as, pushing a button. We have a large number of use cases where hundreds of customers would just be pushing a button and it’s unfortunate that we won’t be able to use Coda for those cases anymore because of the pricing structure.

2 Likes

Hi Josh,

This is important feedback for us - thanks. The use case of having lots of light editors is definitely on our radar. We realize that this is a case that our current model does not support very well but it is something that we would like to fix in the future as we iterate on the model.

3 Likes

Yeah, I also have some questions about Guest Editor pricing.
We have a freelancers who mark their work time in table sheet on their own, while everything else is handled by PM.
So I’m not sure it justifies $6/month for simpler tasks.
Maybe Guest Editors should be able to edit/interact with Tables/documents for Free?
(because they often require not full editing permissions)

4 Likes

@ASOPlay_Team @JeremyOlson they could have a very limited number of actions/month. I like your thinking on this.

We pictured that cross-doc would especially be used by teams but definitely hearing from folks like you wanting to use it in the Pro plan. Would love to hear more about how you would like to use cross-doc - is it for team stuff or individual use cases? If for individual, curious to hear more.

1 Like

I would happily upgrade to Pro (Gmail actions would already make that worth it) but would have to pay $240 extra a year to link a doc for my little slice of Coda…

1 Like

I love the idea of ​​Coda. I have been using it for some time to evaluate its possibilities. I was anxiously waiting to see the pricing. But I confess that I was a little disappointed.
It had been promised a different pricing from the market, which I could not see. Since any doc user needs to be a editor (in order to mark that they have completed a task, e.g.), I would need to pay per user just like any other service. So the price would be $ 6 per user after all (maybe a little less considering the quota included).
It’s a reasonable price, but in my view it’s still the same model, just communicated differently.
I also found it wrong to limit packages in the Pro plan as it makes no sense to sign a larger plan for small teams. So a small team would be left without the ability to use Gmail integration, e.g.
Finally, I was also expecting the ability to attach files to docs, which did not happen. Without this feature, I think of migrating definitely to Notion or Airtable, although they don’t have some features that I like very much in Coda.
Well, I hope my feedback has been helpful and you are still willing to make adjustments to the business model.

5 Likes

We endeavored to create a model that lines up the value makers are getting with the cost, which is why we are charging for doc makers. So hopefully for a lot of teams, they can start out pretty cheap with just a few doc makers, and everyone else going in and editing docs. And as the team gets more value out of it and other doc makers emerge, the cost goes up. Versus charging the same cost for every member of your team.

I’m sorry to hear that this model isn’t feeling fair for your team. In your case, are all 30 team members going to be creating docs?

Hi @JeremyOlson, I’m trying to use every channel I can (without being tiresome) to urge Coda to include Cross-Doc (Coda Pack) in the Pro Plan.

The first scenario is creating personal dashboards that integrate data from disparate sources without having to maintain duplicate tables in multiple docs. That’s the PERFECT use-case right there, and I’ve been advocating for that since Coda introduced Packs in the first place (really, you can see this in the community discussions).

The second scenario just developed during the Cross Docs beta – I’ve got some “mega-docs” that cannot run on the Coda mobile app because (as your support teams tells me) the docs are too large. Cross-docs enables a stripped down mobile-specific doc that can interact with the mega-doc without crashing the app. As an unpaid evangelist for Coda I really urge Coda to rethink the exclusion of cross-docs on the Pro Plan.

Thanks for considering (and advocating for us solo makers!)
John-Jack

9 Likes

Hmm the pricing model has me a bit concerned to say the least. I’m currently a 1 man team with a few dozen clients. I basically have 1 template doc that I planned on copying for every client in which they can input their private data.

Assuming 50 clients and the pro-plan, this would lead to a monthly cost of $10 + 48$5 = $250 per month*. Now I’m more than happy to pay good money for this service, but I’m not an enterprise and this kind of monthly cost is going to be hard to justify (not to mention that it doesn’t feel particularly fair in this - admittedly - fringe case).

I hope a more reasonable arrangement can be made, e.g. by changing the pricing for guest editors.

1 Like