Launched: Small improvements for more seamless team collaboration

We recently completed a series of small improvements for smoother teamwork. These updates make it easier for you to navigate to where you need to be, and give you greater control over how you add, organize, and display information.

The who, what, when and where.

• Avatars indicate activity. When your team is actively collaborating, it can be helpful to know who’s, well, active in the doc. Anyone who’s no longer working in a doc after 15 minutes will have their avatar icon turn grey, to indicate they are inactive.

InactivityIndicator.gif

• Organize your outlines. Outlines on text-heavy pages help team members jump to where they need to be. Now, you have more control over what appears on your outlines. Select what sections show up based on the size of the section headers.

NewOutlineHeaders.gif

• Same page, new tab. It can be helpful to see two pages in the same doc side by side, rather than toggling back and forth. You can now right-click a page or select the kebab (three dots) menu next to the page name to open it in a new tab.

• Hide and seek, at the doc level. Archiving content for review at a later time often requires hiding—and then unhiding— multiple pages. We made this action easier at the doc level; to access hidden pages, navigate to the kebab next to the doc title, on the upper left side of your doc.

NewHiddenPageLocation.gif

• It’s a date. We’ve added two more day/month/year options to the date column type. You can choose to have dates reflected as 22.02.2022 and 22/02/2022, for example.

Automate, replicate, or relocate.

• More rows, faster. If you’re working in a row that’s been expanded as a pop-up, you can now add a new row directly in the pop-up window instead of returning the table to create a new row. Simply click add row in the dropdown.

NewAddRow.gif

• Right-click to rearrange. Rearranging your data just got easier with shortcuts. Right-click any row to move it to the top or bottom of the table, or select and right-click on columns to bulk-duplicate them. You can also create a button that duplicates rows.

• Automate what happens after form submissions. Do you ever use forms to track feedback, bugs, or other submissions, but forget to check back in on the results? Now, you can set an automation to run when a form is submitted, to notify a team member.

If you’d like to test out any of these features before updating your team’s doc, you can copy our flexible initiative tracker template. And we’re not done yet! Keep an eye on Coda’s Twitter next week for even more feature news.

36 Likes

these are great changes, thank you to all the codans that worked to make these happen!

can i check that the options to add rows from within the dialog modal wont be shown if the page-locking is set to prevent add-row? i assume this is so, otherwise it defeats the purpose of having locks.

well done all
max

11 Likes

Boy do these last few days make me glad I chose to go with Coda for our business! Feels very much like I picked a winner.

12 Likes

Wow, lots to love here! Thanks for the hard work!

3 Likes

Love these quality of life improvements, really great to see

3 Likes

That’s awesome! Is it me or everything is more snappy? It seems faster and more responsive overall :fire:

3 Likes

Coda actually delivers amazing features with every release. This is an inspiring example of software development! Please let your team know I thing they rock!

4 Likes

That’s correct! The option is not shown if the doc locking settings do not allow rows to be added.

2 Likes

Great to hear it! Stay tuned for next week :grinning: and follow us on Twitter!

2 Likes

Loving the duplicate row addition, thank you Codans!

3 Likes

Awesome news!
Really like all the new features, especially the automation trigger for new form submissions!
It’s much simpler than listening to new rows added to a table.

Eager to discover the rest of releases. As always you guys keep doing little upgrades all the time. Thanks!

2 Likes

Automations on form submission!! :pray::pray::pray:

…and in that vein, can we please have the automation trigger, “when new row is created” next, thanks!

4 Likes

Hello @Evan_Price1

Did you ever see my workaround for this: Automation based on new rows - #18 by joost_mineur

Works like a charm, I have been using that for a quite a while now, without any hickups.

You can combine this with the new form trigger, in such a way that only one automation triggers and you can perform two different automation-actions if you wish. I will publish a simple sample doc as soon as I have some time.

Greetings, Joost

3 Likes

Thanks @joost_mineur, I do use that method or something similar quite often.
It’s just with complicated workflows involving numerous operations on a row it’s just another thing to keep track of to ensure operations done trigger accidently.

1 Like

I love these updates! Thanks.

1 Like

Hi everyone, one more small improvement we launched recently:

See who changed what. On any page, you can now see not only when the last change was made, but also who made it by toggling on last edited in page options. Clicking on the information opens the doc’s version history in a new tab.

LastEdited.gif

4 Likes

Hi @Shelley_Garg,

would love your input on the the new feature release, allowing users to select which header level (ie H1, H2 or H3), shall be displayed in the outline:

I’ve noticed that it’s no longer possible to show a doc’s table within the outline. Specifically, if I have a page that solely contains Tables (no headers), and then toggle on “Outline”, this no longer shows all tables within the outline. As this is my preferred way of providing Admins access to the underlying table structure, this is an issue for me.

Prior to the new feature release, tables DID show up in the outline. Please do advise if this functionality will be brought back.

Thanks,
Nina

1 Like

Hey Nina,

Are you sure you have the options turned on:

My outline shows all tables - the tables have an H2 table name.

All of these are (collapsed) tables.

Greetings, Joost

Hi Joost,

thanks so much for weighing in!

My apologies, I should have clarified:
The outline works as expected when one assigns a Table name above the table, which can later be collapsed (exactly as you showcased in your screenshot).

I am under the impression, though, that it used to be the case that previously, one did NOT have to conduct these two steps (ie (i) add a header and (ii) collapse the headers) in order for the outline (revealing the tables) to be displayed. Hence, it served for a much easier editing/access outline pane, imo.

Now, this no longer seems to be the case. That is, now one has to add a header and collapse all headers for the outline (revealing the tables underneath the headers) to appear.

I thus should have more clearly specificed my question to @Shelley_Garg: Will the option of showing tables in an outline WITHOUT collapsing a header be brought back? If not, I will simply adjust and make do, just wanted to know if it’s worth waiting for :slight_smile:

Summing up: Not a super urgent request, more a general inquiry. Thanks!

Hello Nina,

I am not using headers and collapsing is not required. It works for me the way I have always used it.

Greetings, Joost