Launched: File Uploads & Attachments

Thanks for trying on your end. I’ve used Chrome exclusively for Coda at a few different points. I have a small team that would be affected switching from Dropbox pack to Coda attachments. So probably wouldn’t be a big issue to move them over for a bit.

1 Like

Wonderful news from team Coda. :+1:

1 Like

Tiny follow-up concerning this trouble with Safari and the Files :

The same problem appears on the Coda app too with (still at least) .pdf files on an iPad Pro (2020) - iPadOS 14.3 - Coda app’ version 1.0.20

But still, pictures work great though :blush: !

2 Likes

Hi @Pch,

We’re having some issues with pdf preview in Safari right now, and are looking in to it!

3 Likes

Thank you very much @betty :grin: !!!

1 Like

Does anyone know what I need to reference to point to a Coda attachment in Zapier? I currently have a process where I want to create a backup file of a Coda attachment. But I can’t seem to get it to recognize it as a PDF file.

I’ve tried reference the File attachment cell and the URL() of the File attachment cell.

I do this routinely with other services so not sure what else I might need to try.

I guess to put it simply, does anyone know how to reference a Coda attachment file as an attachment in Zapier?

When I try to add a file via Zapier from Dropbox, it attaches the file but it removes the name and says it is unnamed. Is there a way to get it to preserve the name? I like the option of having a folder for quickly adding multiple files and then run a zap to add a new row for each file added. I did a similar thing when using AirTables file support.

1 Like

I also can’t view files from the Coda app on my iPhone. It’s running the most current iOS version.

@Pch Sorry for the delay, moving a bit slower during the holidays. Can you try viewing pdfs in Safari now? A fix for this just went out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @Tim_Sherrod Sorry about that; there was a bug with pulling in the correct filename. This should be fixed now as well – can you try again?

1 Like

@betty : It works like a charm :grin: :tada: !

Thank you :grin: ! (And Happy New Year too :grin::tada: !)

Edit : It works on the Coda mobile app too (iPad) :grin: :tada: !

3 Likes

Glad that is working for you! And, Assuming you’re using Safari on the iPad, should be the same bug/fix :smiley:

Happy new year :tada:

2 Likes

I can confirm :grin: !
It works perfectly on Safari Mac + iPad and on the Coda app’ too :grin: !

Thank you very much :tada: !

3 Likes

Thank you so much. I was temporarily using Chrome just for file attachments.

2 Likes

I tried again but it still is unnamed. It also gives me an error when I try to download the file once it has been uploaded. I sent a screenshot of error to customer service.

Here is what I was doing: Add a file to a particular Dropbox folder, Zapier triggers and uploads the file to a Coda table under a column formatted for Files.

Result: File can be viewed but has not file name. Downloading the files generates an error.

Ah, sorry. You’re right, this is a separate bug. The error on download should be fixed now. We’re still looking in to a fix for the filename–thanks for your patience!

No problem! I created a separate table to dump a group of files at once and formula map them to create a new row per file for my target table. That is working great for now. But would love the flexibility of using Zapier and attachments when you all get to it!

1 Like

Hi, @BenLee and @Charlotte_Espeland.

If images/files do not count against the size of a Doc, shouldn’t this help file below be updated?

"If your doc has gotten so big that it has memory issues, there is unfortunately not much you can do to fix it other than reducing the amount of data in it. Here are some tips on the ways you can go about doing it:

1. Switch from images to image URL: If you have lots of large images in your doc or an image column in your tables, it might help to switch to using Image URL instead."

@betty @BenLee do you know if this is possible in any way? I would love to be able to back up files imported into Coda in another service like Dropbox or Google Drive through Zapier. It also helps when wanting to leverage OCR to find a doc since I can’t currently search inside files in Coda.

I had this already set up when using the Dropbox pack, but I would rather use Coda for document management and just Dropbox for file backup or text search.

Hi @Tim_Sherrod,

I’m glad you’re digging into the attachments feature. From your posts though, I’d like to mention some thoughts on using it. We’re not designing this around being an image or document repository in general. Design and function decisions are based around how to use attachments within Coda. An example would be uploading receipts to a table for taxes to have everything in one place verses a storage archive for all photos you take. I wouldn’t think of attachments as archival storage and I think you’ll find that the other systems you’re mentioning will have a few additional features that will be better suited for this.

If the goal it to have files in a place where you can add custom attributes and make notes on them, then Coda is a great solution.

1 Like