Launched: In-Doc Examples

Hey all!

We just rolled out a bunch of examples that you can insert directly into your doc, from inside your doc. The idea here is to help folks get started quickly with things that you can edit and deconstruct. We’re rolling this out over the next couple weeks so if some of you don’t see it quite yet, you will soon! :tada:

Examples on the canvas

There are two ways you can add these examples to your doc. The first is right on your canvas, any time you’re in a blank section:

Canvas Examples

In the top row are quick-insert tiles for basic building blocks like tables, cards, or charts. On the second row, you’ll see pre-built examples.

Examples in the plus menu

You can also access examples from the plus menu. This can come in handy if you want to add them to a section that already has some content.

We’ll be expanding these even more, but wanted to release an early version for you to play with. Let us know what you think and how you end up using them!

Cheers,
moriah-square
Moriah
(Software Engineer at Coda)

19 Likes

Thank you. I’m getting back on the horse again, and all this will come in handy. We did not used to be so fortunate. I am sad I gave up my legend status. Now I have to earn it back.

4 Likes

You’ll never lose your legendary status @mike_west :wink:

3 Likes

I like it! It’s very useful especially for newcomers.
And what I think could be the premises of cross doc, am I wrong? I would love to be able to add my own templates.
Thanks!

3 Likes

Perfect! Thank you - especially the voting. Many times I wanted to add it to a table, but hated the routine that needed to go into that. Now it’s simple as possible. (I can imagine “add voting” button for already created table, but that’s just nit-picking)

2 Likes

Love this update Moriah - great job, so much more simple to achieve what you need fast.

2 Likes

I’d love to hear more about where you’d imagine this going with cross doc.

In the future, we’d definitely think about user and team provided templates!

4 Likes

I was thinking in a user way :smile:
I believe that you manage things differently internally, but I thought that these templates could come from a template doc, and clicking on a template button would be a dup of another doc content.
This is a bit how I would love cross doc to work.

2 Likes

Upvote on that one :slight_smile:

Ah got it! We are working to make improvements to copy/paste so you should be able to bring in data from templates much more easily in the near future as well!

3 Likes

Great idea, Tomas! That’s actually something we’ve discussed as well – how cool would it be to someday add pre-configured columns to a table? :heart_eyes_cat: There’s no exact timeline yet on this idea, but it’s definitely on our radar so thanks for bringing that up!

That’s good! Still want a coda pack!

1 Like

Maybe I do something wrong, but I cannot see these if I open a new section, neither if a new doc… do I miss something here?

Great work guys, just what I had in mind when I mentioned this idea before. Great execution :muscle:t3:

1 Like

Hi Akos, we’re rolling them out to everyone in the next couple weeks. You’ll see this soon!

2 Likes