Launched: Our more powerful and intuitive editor

Are there any plans to bring a full width layout soon? Maybe it was copium but I was really hoping columns would bring full width capabilities. My coda dashboard dreams are dead for another year :*(

Love the features though :+1:

3 Likes

So impressed with @Teresa_de_Figueiredo and the entire Coda team with these new features.

2 Likes

@Elliott great question!!

We are planning to launch a fuller wide mode that will allow for columns to take up the full width of a page while maintaining a clean viewing experience on any device. Given the Coda page is ~800px wide when centered and 1000px wide when wide, for now four columns prevents content from getting too clunky as we’ve seen in some other products with a similar feature.

Coda happily assumes the role of ensuring anything our users create looks great for whoever views it, whether a teammate or someone who uses a template. We want you to share customized docs with confidence. I can promise you will be sharing your fully-wide pages with an immaculate viewing experience soon.

8 Likes

This feature doesn’t seem to copy table values?

@Nikil_Ragav Yes, it does. During the copy process you can select in the copy options whether you want to copy only the column headers or also the values (rows).

Ben, any updates on timeline? Most of our existing docs have not been upgraded to the new editor, including the simple ones (think two pages with just text). I’m sure this is not easy but would be helpful to know if I should continue waiting or manually create new docs and transfer content over. Thank you!

@Mohit_Shewaramani , that doesn’t sound right to me as we only have a very very small number of docs not upgraded and all are ones that are pretty large or complex.

I would write in to our support team and include a link to the docs that you are not seeing as upgraded. Use the “?” icon at the bottom right of any Coda doc and they will be able to see what’s going on.

To clarify for everyone, the canvas columns are not a part of this launch. We’re looking forward to getting those into everyone’s hands as quickly as possible, so stay tuned!

3 Likes

Same for us. Most of our docs are not upgraded and are now extremely slow.

@Nikil_Ragav I should add that unfortunately this does not apply to the values of table rows in subpages of the copied page. Possibly that is what you have experienced.

So you will have to copy subpages that contain tables separately.

1 Like

Are there known performance regressions with the new editor?

1 Like

I’m not experiencing any.

I haven’t noticed anything significant either.

What is the reasoning for this design decision?
That’s kind of unintuitive

Hi @Michael_Singer & @Nikil_Ragav - Thanks for flagging this issue! This is something our engineering team is aware of & is prioritized. I’ll keep you posted on when this is fixed.

1 Like

is there an ETA on the full screen cards? I have 4 wide on cards and it takes up only half my screen width. my use case is a room status app for my business but when we add rooms it will be impossible to use with the currently limited width. thank you

Hi @Irfan_Khan ! Thanks for sharing your use case. We are actively working on the fuller wide mode for columns to take up the full width of a page while maintaining a clean viewing experience on any device. Please look out for an announcement soon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

To follow up on this, we are excited to share we are opening a beta for wider column groups. This is part of an experiment to see how users respond to wider objects in Coda. If you are interested is signing up, you can use this form.

Look forward to hearing from you!

2 Likes

There are definitely some performance issues occurring with the new editor, you must have some expensive Javascript code running on each keystroke… it feels very clunky, often characters don’t appear on screen quickly enough

1 Like