Launched: Save a Page as PDF

We’ll prioritize fixing this.

Several of you reported issues via Typeform feedback with rendering to PDF non-Western fonts
This has been fixed.

Hi Pjotr,

Re: the cover image rendering as heavily pixelated. Could you report this via the Typeform feedback link in the original post and provide environment information and a screenshot?

Nice
It would also be really helpful, if we can send the printed pdf as a gmail attachment. Is this possible now via formula or ?

2 Likes

It’s something we would like to do in the future. No ETA, but as you say it will be super useful.

2 Likes

This is a great first step.

When trying to save as PDF, it says “Exporting…” but the PDF is not yet generated and it’s been 30 or 45 minutes that I started the export. If I try to save it again, it says to wait that the preceding export is completed before starting a new one.

Is this because it’s trying to export all the sheets of my document? I just want to save the current page as PDF.

Hi Karine, we have a fix for this issue. It will not block like this with an update to the product early next week. Thanks for the report.

1 Like

I also have an issue - getting an error when saving as pdf and there’s an embedded image on the page.
would be great to have a quick fix or advice on how to fix.

Hi @Gergely_Koles unfortunately there’s a known limitation in the technology we’re using to create PDFs that can prevent images in embeds from loading.

For your use case, are you able to replace the Embed() formula with the Image() formula?

@nathan tried Embed() as well - same result.

As context: I’m trying to show a different picture based on different criteria so both the embed() or the image() are sitting within a SwitchIf()…Any suggestions?

What happens if you use the Image() formula? It should work inside SwitchIf().

@BenLee exactly the same thing you see on my screenshot.

Ahh, weird thing - just tried what happens if I fill in the optional parameters in the Image() function.
Guess what - it works if I fill in the width and height. It doesn’t seem to change if I leave out the last two parameters but I cannot leave width and height on auto.

@Gergely_Koles Are you able to share this doc with us, or create a similar doc that shows the same issue? This doesn’t seem to happen with all images, so I’d love to investigate more.

If so, you can fill out this form: https://trycoda.typeform.com/to/PaRNCkUK

Thanks!

@Matthew_Tebbs, this was a long awaited feature and I understand it is still much behind what could be desired. For us, we usually need pdfs for three types of things: 1) Invoices (not only to print, but Ideally also to email with custom messages). 2) Contracts (we have a very wide range of dynamic data contracts which could be generated here. We populate parts of the contracts from other tables. One reason why we do not do that in Coda but do in Google Sheets - it is the printing capabilities of Google Sheets. They can print, makde pdfs in a very very powerful way. I suggest that you check it out. 3) Operations instructions with dynamic data. These get emailed to relevant people, so email functionality goes alongside well.

For us it is important to have: A4 size documents, Print only selected part of the page, Fit-to-page features.

Thanks a million for pushing this further.

2 Likes

Awesome works! It does not support Chinese characters at the moment!

Unfortunately I can’t due to confidentiality reasons.

Hi @Charlie_Lin, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We’ve just deployed a fix and non-Latin character sets should be working now.

2 Likes

Any update yet to the problem of images not showing up in the pdf when they are brought in by formulas?

Hi,
I’ve just discovered that instead of using “save as PDF” or printing to PDF, you use Microsoft print to PDF you can get small file sizes specially when you are printing a table with lots of thumbnail pictures.
The difference is huge. A table with 32 pictures, at first had 35MB, which is impractical to send as email attachment. It all came down to 330KB when using the Microsoft virtual printer.
For me, it’s a very useful tip and I wanted to share with the community.

2 Likes