Launched: Text input control

I use the old method with RegexMatch() to search text in Coda. Is there any advantage in changing my old Docs to this new way?

You can also use RegexMatch() with the text input control to filter rows with a formula like RegexMatch(thisRow.Activity, [textbox 1]) OR [textbox 1] = "". If you were previously using a single-cell table for this, this will make search responsive and will be a better experience.

2 Likes

Why changing filters through controls changes the look of all employees who work in the Dock. After all, it is obvious that each employee filters what he needs and others need their own filters. This destroys the whole principle of teamwork with Doc! Even in Google tables, you can use filtering and it does not affect other users of the document!

That is the consequence of how all controls work in Coda: their state is shared among all users. We are exploring how to implement a per-user control model, where state is not shared.

5 Likes

This is a really powerful toolā€¦thank you for developing it!

I find that I keep inadvertently part of the text input control when I am trying to clear the search field and input a new search term.

Is there a way to lock the text input control so there are no more fat-finger problems?

Many thanks, Gregg

If the text input control could be placed inside a table as a column instead of only in the canvas, we could make it multi user. It would be much more powerful.
Still Itā€™s very nice update.

What do you mean by multi-user?

I meant this :smiley:

Why would you need a text control in a table if any cell can basically work as a text input itself? Just for the visual outline?

2 Likes

I think for the same reason text input control was created. You donā€™t really need it but it would be easier for most people to set up a text search filtered by the current user.

1 Like

This is definitely important! :slight_smile:
imagine opening google and see the last research from the last person who used it, no sense :joy:

1 Like

Is there a way to clear the text input control via an action?
i.e. I want to use the text input control to capture text that is processed with a button, then at the end of the actions for the button, clear out the text field. TIA

2 Likes

Not at the moment, unfortunately! We are looking into it.

6 Likes

Awesome! Is there a way to search across all columns?

E.g. in your original example, if I search Jango Fett, I want both Boba Fett (whose description mentions Jango Fett) and Jango Fett (whose name is Jango Fett) to come up.

Hi @Nikil_Ragav,
sure you can: just add a chained OR filter in all the columns you wish to search.

On this case
Name.Matches([Control Search]) OR Description.Matches([Control Search])

Cheers.

3 Likes

Or shorter yet:
Concatenate(Name,Description).Matches([Control Search])

7 Likes

GAME CHANGER! NOICE! :smiley:

Awesome, Iā€™ve been waiting for this for a year and a half. Now Coda is complete.

1 Like

Hi @Gleb_Posobin! Any news about that? :slight_smile:

Iā€™m still with a text box that every user can edit upon the one before, and obv itā€™s not a correct behaviour for a search box, is this planned to be fixed (as the others control) or i just have to wait and hope as is often with coda?

I mean, what is the priority of fixing this? 0? No interest because controls behaved like this forever and no one is willing to go deep into coda to change this? have an internal discussion been made for this? what was the outcome? :slight_smile:

Iā€™d like to have some transparency because like that it seems that coda have an input box but actually this is not functional so not really usefulā€¦

Can we have some updates? Thanks :blue_heart:

Mario

Hi Mario!

I am sorry to hear that the text input is not useful for you =(

We see that per-user control state is a widely-requested feature and I would love to see it in the product myself, but we are first taking time to come up with the best way to implement it. As you noted, the way it works now is the same for all controls. We are trying to come up with a holistic way to handle this per-user usecase for all controls that would be intuitive for users.

3 Likes