Launched: Text input control

Hi @Gleb_Posobin , thanks for the kind answer!

I think that a simple switch in the control option, something like “Allow multiple user” switch would be clear for new and advanced users, just because it was fast to mock it up:

Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 12.03.00

This simply allows different user to have different variables into that control, it is the same concept as creating those control in a row in a table and then filter it on a per-user basis, concept that is widely used on i think every doc that is used by more than one person

I’d like to see this because i’m trying to turn my doc from the “classical” one row per user then filtered (dashboard hack informally) to a more supported layout as seen as dashboard layouts have been broken in some updates so i’m not into using them in production docs anymore

I’d love to use controls directly in the canvas, this could finally lead to a “good” ui in my doc, but i would need a doc per person to allow them to use it at the same time (or a play published doc but then i cannot save data’s) and as you can imagine many more sync problem come out of this…so i’m forced to use a “not supported” method to have a per-user search box, but i’m honestly tired of applying temp hack into docs that others have to use and that i’m supposed to “technically support” for a long time…

What do you think about this simple switch? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I tried the interactive control for a column that was a number data type and I automatically get a slider for the control, not a search field. Is this a bug?

1 Like

Nope, this is working as planned! We think it makes more sense to filter based on a slider for number columns. You can always add a custom filter to a table based on a text input:

1 Like

Hi Emily! Wanted to follow up to say that now you can add a button to clear the text input with the SetControlValue action, here is a short demo:

8 Likes

If we can do this by our side, why don’t you do this by Coda’s side? Every search bar needs this “clean” button. It would be much better if there was a simple X inside the bar instead of having to build a button every time.

2 Likes

I way to speed things up: make a template out of it and use that everytime you need the search bar.

1 Like

I sort of agree. But at the same time, leaving the button up to the user also permits other values than blank (i.e. preset buttons for certain search terms / numeric values).

I am not asking for removing the option to create a button, I just want a simple X inside the search bar.

3 Likes

Is there to program a button to “Select All” with a column that’s a list?
Many thanks!
Gregg

Hi everyone! Since launching this feature, we heard loud and clear that ya’ll would like personal/per-user opportunities to search your tables in Coda. Drum roll please . . .

:drum: :drum: :drum:

You can now search tables in Coda without impacting how your teammates see that same table! Learn more here: Just stopping by to share that progress has been made on this front!

1 Like

How I wish, the text input also can apply to column of type select list

Hi there @shushimi
You can fake searches the old way:

You create a table for storing sort of ‘user session variables’, where you can keep separate searches and filter values by user.

Then, instead of interactive filters, you place a view of this table, filtered so only current logged user’s row is shown, and formated so view only shows desired columns (i.e: one column for tagging search box with a text formula, other column to act as search box)

Finally, you create a filter formula in your search target table that uses the value of your current user search box column as filter, this way, you can elaborate your desired search logic, while keeping the filtered values within each user ‘session’ (say, row) so different users can perform different searches.

I made a demo, since its not trivial. In page 2 of the demo you can see the result, while page 1 contains the aforementioned user table required to fake the interactive filter. You will need to open in Coda de document to be able to interact:

2 Likes