Launched: Updated select lists to color code your data

Recently, we launched several features to make your project trackers pop. With a redesigned select list, you can make the data in your tracker’s tables even more eye-catching, to help you spot patterns and find what you need. The updates allow you to:

1. Directly apply color coding.
  2. Easily set starting values for new rows.

Color code your categories.
When you add list options—either by pressing enter or clicking the add option button—a default color will be assigned to each option to help your tags and categories stand out. You can customize your colors by selecting the icon next to the text.

Selectlist_choosecolor.gif

To turn an existing column into a color-coded select list, go to the select list column type, and choose new. You’ll see the new select list reflected in existing table views. If you’re currently using a lookup table as a workaround to add color to your tags, you can now convert the column to a select list instead.

NewSelectList.gif

Ready, set, auto-populate.
We made it easier to set a starting value for new rows, so you don’t have to enter it manually each time. Open up the select list options for the desired column, and choose what you’d like to pre-populate for additional data.

NewDefaultValue.gif

The redesigned select list makes it easier for teammates to visually group or associate data, quickly observe main takeaways, or dig into the rows they care about. Copy our initiative tracker template to explore how color coding can help your data stand out.

40 Likes

These are one of the many small details that makes Coda better and better. Good job :clap: :+1:

4 Likes

Hello @Leo_Choi ,

This looks really nice and can be a real time saver.

I do have a couple of small notes though.

In the following select list:

1. I deleted the first select option (10) and then put it back in with a CTRL-Z. The existing values in the (amount) column don’t recover though and stay white.

2. there might be situations where you don’t want all these colorful options. It is not real obvious how to turn of the coloring (spoiler: click on one of the colored circles and then on clear:

)
    After getting rid of all the coloring and turning them back on after reopening the select list options, the number 10 in this sample stays white. The only way I can get it to turn blue is re-entering the select choice, not real convenient if you have a table with thousands of items.

Regardless of these notes, I do like this very much.

Greetings,
Joost

1 Like

This feature is great! I have a question though.
Is it possible to order them? I somehow can not manage to order them like I want, seems to do it alphabetically which is not what I need? Is this possible or that can only be done through a lookup table? It’s for a Status column…
Thanks!

You can clear all colours or this one only.

1 Like

Hello @Eva_Folch ,

Open the column options by right clicking the column header and go to the Select list options:
Upon opening the options you can drag your options around with the block type handle to any sequence you like - what you see here is what you get when using the dropdown:

HI @Joost_Mineur1 Thanks! that’s what I did, but it does not work why I set a “sort” In the table, it does not order it like I have it in the select list options.

Hello Eva,

I am a bit confused. Are you trying to sort the selectlist or the column with your results?

Greetings, Joost

@joost_mineur – thanks for reporting these issues, we’ll take a look.

@Eva_Folch – currently the order of options only affects the order when you open the dropdown to set or change values. When you sort the table on a select column, it will always be in an alphabetical order. We’d like to also offer an way to sort the table to match your custom order of select options, and we’ve noted your feedback.

4 Likes

@joost_mineur Thanks for the feedback! I’m filing a ticket for your undo deletion scenario, I agree it’d make sense for the existing values to recover. I also think that the reason why your “10” option didn’t turn blue is because of the initial deletion so I’ll include that in the ticket. And as you and @juergenheise mentioned, you can clear colors by clicking into the color picker, although I’ll make note of the feedback that it wasn’t obvious enough.

4 Likes

@nathan thanks! Yes, that‘s what I thought. I‘m trying to order a table so that status=open is the first, but indeed it does not work. I guess I‘ll have to keep the status table the :laughing:, I wanted to get rid of that one since it does not really bring anything extra to my Workspace.

I also noticed that with Cross Doc, select list columns are now turning into links that point back to the master doc.

This was a pretty big issue in a few of our docs and I had to go on a .ToText() marathon to get rid of all the links.

2 Likes

Good update - thank you. Some observations.

1. It does not seem you can customise the formatting - are we are stuck with what Coda thinks are good colour options or have I missed something?

2. The conditional formatting colours are not the same as those available for the tables themselves - which have an additional set of darker presets (behind a collapsible menu). Would be good to see those same options available across all areas of the platform where conditional formatting is used to make it feel a bit more unified.

Thanks

I’m seeing this happening in my cross doc select lists as well. Thanks @Honyaku_Cloud for posting the work-around for it.

Great update, thanks!

Quick question, is styling meant to pull through if a table is used as a lookup or am I doing something wrong?

Lookup table

Main table

Settings

1 Like

I have exactly the same question.
How we can apply styles to lookup values in a table?

@Honyaku_Cloud and @Reiley_Ney - thanks for the callout on that bug, my apologies. That should now be resolved and the workarounds should no longer be needed.

Hi @William_Devos, thanks for the feedback. If you click into the column options you’re able to select different colors for each option, but you’re correct that the color options and customization don’t fully match what’s available for conditional formatting. You could clear the default color options and apply conditional formatting for the same effect, but we’ll mark this down as a future improvement.

@Alex_Franklin and @Sultan - Thanks for pointing this out. This is working as intended, but we do agree that ideally the styling should pull through and are aware of the needed improvement here. In the meantime, another option for adding styling in cases like these is to apply conditional formatting to the column like you would for non-lookup columns.

You’re a life saver :raised_hands: thanks