Launched: Updates to the Notion Importer for a smoother, simpler switch

You probably have heard, but we’ve rebuilt Coda’s foundation and launched our new editor. The new editor enabled massive product improvements and in particular, two of our most highly requested features: page layout and canvas columns. And you won’t have to spend your afternoon copy/pasting from Notion to try these new features.

I’m excited to unveil updates to the Notion Importer that make switching from Notion to Coda simple.

Maintain your page layouts.
If you’re anything like me, you’ve grown accustomed—if not obsessed—with putting Coda building blocks side-by-side thanks to page layout. Now all of your dashboards, presentations, reports, and more will maintain their form when imported to Coda from Notion.

Use canvas columns like your page in rows.
Coda 3.0 brought canvas columns to your Coda docs, allowing you to unite your structured and unstructured data along with Coda’s building blocks like never before. With the updated Notion Importer, you can seamlessly transition from Notion’s page in row format to canvas columns without missing a beat.

Breathe easy knowing your import is in progress.
Never again ask, “Is my doc done importing?” The new Notion Importer includes a status indicator to clarify that your big imports are still uploading in the background.

And continue to access all the Coda building blocks you know and love.
Customizable tables and views with native charts. Extensibility via over 80 Packs in the Gallery. The robust Coda formula language. And so much more.

Ready to get started? Here are a few of our favorite resources:

• Learn to import a doc from Notion to Coda with step-by-step instruction from Maria and me.
  • Need help translating Notion patterns to Coda? Want pro tips on porting from Notion to Coda? Ben Parker, Webflow Senior Customer Support Manager and co-host of the visualdev.fm podcast, recently updated his playbook The Notion User’s Guide to Coda with all things Coda 3.0.
  • Whether you’re making the switch or have colleagues still operating in Notion, we recognize there are a number of reasons you may want you keep your Notion and Coda docs in sync. We recommend leveraging the Notion Pack—made by community member Leandro Zubrezki—and his accompanying published doc, Giving Notion Coda’s Superpowers, to keep your docs updated.
  • Check out our Help Center for more tips on importing data from Notion to Coda.

Have you made the switch from Notion to Coda? Add your tips and tricks in the comments below!

32 Likes

YES, can finally bring over the last bit of my Notion data to Coda in a nice format :slight_smile:

RIP Notion

4 Likes

The Notion Pack from @Leandro_Zubrezki has been a game changer for me. Some communities I’m a part of use Notion predominantly but the Pack lets me contribute to those communities through Coda and keep both spaces up to date.

:raised_hands:

5 Likes

Woohoo! Amazing launch, team! :tada:

2 Likes

How are Synced blocks imported? Last time I checked, Coda didn’t have a built-in equivalent for this.

1 Like

@Ambroise_Dhenain

the notion import process begins with the zipped html files that are produced by the notion export to html function

and it exports synced blocks as plain old <div>s with all the the text formatting but no links to anything.

so when you import into coda, you just get the formatted text and no other behavior.

btw. i HAVE been able to emulate synced blocks in coda as follows…

on the first page enter the text for the ‘synced block’ inside a names formula like this. then you can refer to this named formula anywhere else in your document and it displays the text. if you change the original text, all the places in your document now show the new text. so its a one-way synced block.

alternatively…

create a one-row one column table. enter the text in that cell.
then hide the column titles, table title and the ‘add row’ [+] button
you can format this text cell anyway you want

then anywhere in your document you can /table a view to this table.
again, switch off all the trimmings - just leaving the text cell

advantage of this approach: anywhere you edit the text in your document, the edit is reflected in all the other ‘synced blocks’ just like notion. ie its a two-way sync.

max

4 Likes