Hi everyone !
I am new to Coda, but very impressed so far. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, until I hit a wall on what I thought would be a very simple use case.
My business requirement is pretty simple: As a Project Manager, I want to have:
- a single “project page”, which has ALL the details of the project. This includes metadata such as “name”, “assignee”, “stage”, AND it also should include ALL other details for that project on the same page or at least in sub-pages (e.g. project requirements, technical specification tables, images, other attachments, etc).
- an “All Projects” table which has the synced metadata such as “name”, “status”, “assignee” etc, and a link to the “Project Details” page. This is used to create boards grouped by status, etc.
The project detail data do not need to be in the metadata table, but at least easily accessible from that table as a link.
So far, I seem to have hit an absolute wall on this.
I have the “All Projects” table setup, and the Board view, etc is all good. But I cannot figure out how to create the “Project Details” page.
I have tried to add a “Add New Project” button, which would copy a template page, and then add that link to the new row in “All Projects”. But:
- this “Add New Project” button is NOT at the “row” level, rather it is above the “All Projects” table. So when I click on the button, it seems I can just do
duplicatePage(from a template, but with generic name only), and then
addRow(which creates an empty row, with just the link to the generic new page).
- how do I sync the name of the meta data in the “All Projects” row, to the data in the “Project Details” page? Can I create a details page with just that specific projects info from the All Projects table? How do I join this?
Is there any way that I can do these steps in this order?:
- popup the “Add Project” form (for adding a new row to the “All Projects” table)
- take the inputs from that row, and create a new page with the information from 1
- Go back to the “All projects” table, and add a link to the newly created page from 2
I hope that I am not overcomplicating things because of my ignorance of something basic! If there’s a simpler way to achieve my objective, happy to learn!
Thanks in advance!