Omnicodoro – Building a Complex App in Coda

Hi @Khalid_Zamer,

Thank you for the time spent looking through this doc. I appreciate that you have found some desire to use it.

All of the features you mention are probably possible, particularly if they just involve more data or different views. However, what I found with my Coda experience (and in particular this doc), is that as I make things more and more personalised to my desires, the formulas become harder and harder to manage, and I start to lose control over things such as readability (because of lack of formula editing features, see Formula Formatting - WE HAVE NEWLINES), but also computational speed and rendering issues.

Coda is great because it convinces people that they can build anything, which is almost true. However, they mean “anything” unless you are a true power user. Truly powerful and customised docs are slow, hard to maintain, and now with the new pricing model, will cost you 30$ a month.

While your features make me excited to get back into Coda and improve my doc, I just can’t justify 30$ a month as a student. As someone in the software field, I believe in paying for the tools I use. For that reason, I already have 65€ a month in subscriptions. As powerful and fun as Coda was to use, Todoist offers an 18€ a year plan for students that just makes sense. I really have to watch where I put my time and money to not overload myself, and Coda is just not that place right now. I am interested in coming back in 2-3 years when Coda has some more central features such as native apps, notifications, better UX (formulas…), and an appreciation for large docs that don’t slow down.

PS - If you invest some time into learning about my doc and starting your own, I’d be happy to set aside time to dive into your doc when you are having issues with formulas and such. That was one of my favourite parts of the Coda community: helping others.

Thank you again for your time, I hope you find the time to dive in and make this doc yours,
Lloyd

4 Likes