Prevent editors from opening row?

I have a table with 51 rows and about 20-odd columns.

I created an “overview” view of this table, showing just the main column and one other column. There are two different detail layouts for these rows based on whether one column (a checkbox) is true or false. I created a button column and wrote a formula to that displays the row using the correct layout. all good. Here is a mini version with dummy data:

I would like for people to click on the button to open a row and see details. However, it appears that you can still click to open the row in the summary table. Is there a way to disable that?

Sorry if I’m not explaining this well. I’m not a tech person and am quite new to coda, cobbling what I can together. Thanks.

Totally get what you mean, and thanks for the demo doc. Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s a way to do what you want. (Mercifully, I find that new users don’t often discover the native “open row” functionality and tend to just use the buttons I place there for them - but I still agree it would be nice).

My mind goes to some kind of workaround with an error message - maybe you make a third layout that’s the default for the table view, with only one column showing, which is a text column with formula ="Oops! Please use the 'Click me' button to view details about a row." For bonus points, make it a GIF of a screen recording of clicking the button back on the table.

2 Likes

@Nick_HE That’s a clever workaround ! Thanks a lot for the idea Nick, as my users have a tendency to quickly find the native open row functionality ! :upside_down_face:

I should warn that I haven’t tested this, but in theory it should work :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.