Preview: Cross-doc Plus (codenamed) — My opinionated take on Cross-doc

@Paul_Danyliuk This is a critical tool, thank you for making it! What are your current plans for updates?

1 Like

I keep getting no results found on the trial :frowning: I have Coda Pro not Team is that affecting why no tables are showing up?

Well, at least the connection works, so that’s not the problem.

The pack requires you to specifically make VIEWS whose names start with [OUT]. This is how you signal to the pack that this data is explicitly made “exportable” — the pack will not read from other tables or views from that doc.

@yscias — in your case there could be some hiccups with the connection you’re using for the pack. Another client had the same issue and the way to fix this was to… delete the connection and create a new one like this:

Oh, I didn’t realize, that’s 100% on me. Since then I have figured out what I wanted to do using just regular Cross-Doc but I will keep in mind for future.

Hello, i’m really intersested on the pack and, even though i’m going to buy it, i did want to ask something.
I’ve been trying to copy a table from one doc to another with crossdoc, but it’s been impossible because it has User() function on the filter, which makes it impossible. Would it be possible using your pack?

Besides the answer, greetings on the pack, it looks fucking amazing!

Hey!

Nope, you cannot use User() to filter the views that you’re trying to access through Cross-doc, or my pack, or an API in general, because that’s not how it works — there’s no User() when it’s not you opening the doc in your browser, but Coda opening it on their servers to serve data from it.

Additionally with my pack you’ll probably have to create a dedicated view and explicitly set it up to export what you need.

If you need different exports per user, you can achieve this with row-level security rules and access tokens.

1 Like

Hey @Paul_Danyliuk ,

We just bought your pack!

Im struggling however with this error:

Heres what the setup looks like:

Hey @Harry_Roper,

Thanks for purchasing the pack, even though it’s still technically unreleased :slight_smile:

There should be two underscores, not one: __read, not _read

Also IIRC don’t use allow: prefix anymore; I removed the deny clause (as it’s easily worked around by providing a random key, hence giving false sense of security). The value should just be the key, i.e. 994721

1 Like

Can’t believe its still technically unreleased! It’s so powerful!!

Thanks for the tip. It seems the app is struggling to fetch data:

1 Like

@Nebular_Productions

This is the pack I was talking about.

If you can’t get it to work after a few retries, try deleting the connection and signing in again with a new account (i.e. follow the pack installation flow and create a new token etc). Helped the others in the past.

Hi @Paul_Danyliuk ,

Just wanted to check whether this pack is still actively developed and whether you have a timeline for the following:
• Actions — Add, edit, and delete row(s) with row-level permission rules.
• Table mirroring — A way to sync two or more tables that are editable on both sides.

About to embark on a big build and would like to know whether to hold off and use your pack, as the above features would be extremely helpful.

It’s not at the moment but it’s on my list of things to do next.

I made some mistakes recently (basically took up client work to cover a hole in my budget, only to do it longer than anticipated and get into another hole, and take more client work…) and I want to get out of that vicious circle. These days I’m working on a relatively short project (a Coda guide doc) that I hope can bring quicker gratification and remedy my situation. Then I quickly implement some accounting for our family business (it’s not been there for a year soon; we’re still doing it on paper and in sheets). And after that, sometime in April, I get fully invested in Sync Tables Pro.

Got it, thanks for the update Paul :slight_smile:

A little update.

If you want this pack to arrive faster, please support my other product that I’m making to improve my financial standing and avoid getting into more of the endless client work.

1 Like

Hey @Paul_Danyliuk

I’ve read all the comments above but I’m still not clear on the answer to this question - Nad asked if you would be implementing “Table mirroring — A way to sync two or more tables that are editable on both sides.”
To me this sounds the (my!) holy grail of being able to sync tables and have the synced version editable and write changes back to the master version - Is that what Nad meant and more importantly, is that actually something that is going to be possible with Sync Tables Pro, and if so when would you be implementing it?
(Noting the difficulties you’re having at the moment and the other work your formula guide, which I would instantly sign up for the max coaching version if this functionality is coming!!)

Okay, a little bit disclosure on that.

1. My original idea with “table mirroring” would basically be formulas, actions, and a template to basically query rows not as a sync table but as row data. The template iterator table would then populate a local table there. So, some manual setup would be required there.

2. Then I thought if I could simplify as much manual effort as I could there. Some ideas would be pushing to tables via API — i.e. you click a button and it magically resolves the diff on two (or possibly more?) tables, and applies the changes. Again, some manual effort could be required because packs can only work with not much data at a time. So it would be necessary to optimize for reading only the minimum data — e.g. only querying the rows edited since the last sync.

I’m sorta doing these things manually already. It’s still somewhat tedious to setup even for me.

However, I know that Coda was exploring truly editable sync tables — i.e. where one would actually edit the cell and that would trigger an underlying pack formula to submit that change back to the source. As it is usual with anything that Coda is working on, there’s not a definitive timeline on when (and if at all) that will be added, but I sure hope that it eventually is.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

You’re almost over my head! But I think I’ve pretty much understood - In summary, you may well be able to improve the current cross-doc actions to combine a group of actions. But editing of a cell in a sync table that is pulled from a master version (or view in your pack’s case) will not be possible until (if :slightly_frowning_face:) Coda implements this functionality.

While you’re here, and maybe best to actually respond in your post, how long until your formula guide is released?

I’ll answer quickly here; I’ll keep that topic for announcements.

Short answer: several weeks. I started writing it but as usual some urgent stuff popped up. I’ll be releasing chapters as I write them though, even in draft form. Releasing early, polishing later.

3 Likes