Reference data from first row?

Ok. So I am trying to take a paragraph from the first row of the first column of my table, use the split formula to split the paragraph into individual sentences, and then display those sentences in their own individual rows in another column. But I am having trouble referencing the correct data. I need to be referencing only one row in one column (that one paragraph) but my formulas are only referencing their own rows, which are blank because I wrote the paragraph in only the top row. Here is a pic:

I wrote something in the second row of ‘Paragraph plot’ to show how it is taking the data from that row, rather than the first row the way I want it to. I know that everything would work fine if I had a way of automatically copying that first paragraph into all the following rows of ‘Paragraph Plot’, so that all the formulas are referencing that same paragraph, rather than referencing a blank row. I don’t know how to do that, though, or if that is the best solution to my problem.

Thanks!

What are the current formula in the “Sentence split” and “Sentences” columns? I think I know what you want to do and it may involve creating an additional “ID” column so that you can always reference the first row in the table.

sentence split formula – [Paragraph Plot].Split(".") and sentences formula – [Sentence split].Nth(thisRow.[Row ID])

My Row ID column is just outside of the screenshot. Right now, I’m just using it to put the split up sentences into their own row correctly.

I don’t think there’s a way to reference an individual row right now due to the way table formulas work :slightly_frowning_face:. The only way I can see this working is if you copy the text in “Paragraph Plot” to all the rows in your table. Then in the Sentences column, you have the formula =[Sentence Split].nth(ID) which is similar to the formula you currently have:

45%20PM

Good to know. What I ended up doing is writing the paragraph in its own one celled table, and then having the “paragraph plot” just = that one celled table, to automatically copy it.

1 Like