Right to left support - RTL

Hi,
I am impressed by how simple yet powerful coda is, WELL DONE :clap: Codans!
It will be great if we can get full RTL support in the near future :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Exactly,
This kind of feature might make coda extremly attractive for certain audiences - Including me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

+1 I will use this for my business if it will have RTL Ability!

3 Likes

I work with Coda in Hebrew.
I use it to manage my SMB - clients, projects and tasks. Highly flexible and useful.
For one-liners like task titles and project names, there are no obstacles. Yet, you must have labeling and titling conventions.
For notes fields, it depends on the uses. not very useful for long and complex notes.

The Ctrl+Shift works but only temporarily.

If Coda doesn’t want to lose half the world and become a writing tool - RTL is a must.

4 Likes

Please add RTL soon!

1 Like

This is noted and it’s grouped with other localization/internationalization items, like currency, date layouts, and whether numbers use decimals or commas.

I don’t have an ETA on this, and it is a pretty sizable project. It’s not likely to be super soon, but it is noted and discussed. This is considered an important item for sure, it’s more a matter of needing to have certain features built out in the product and tested before adding this to it. Think of it as an order of operations rather than order based on importance. We do know it’s important and makes a difference.

5 Likes

Any news coming soon about that? i still can’t use this amazing tool without hebrew support…

I’m sorry @B_G, this isn’t on the front burner yet.

@BenLee Supporting RTL is as easy as adding a line in CSS. And you give support for writing and reading for huge parts of the world.
The rest of the international incompatibilities can be taken care in a later stage as they are not so important, we know how to live with them.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it’s not as easy as adding a line in CSS (at least as far as I know). If you want to be able to write both LTR and RTL you need to detect the language to determine writing direction and you need to properly align the text, bullets (including indentation) etc.
For reference - in this link is a script that enables RTL writing in notion.so (using Tampermonkey) - only for text on canvas, not for databases.

2 Likes

It’s definitely not as simple as CSS, but it’s also the sort of thing that can easily be overcomplicated. The ideal way, I imagine, would be to allow a user to define a base direction (RTL or LTR) for the page, and then carefully use the various directionality control HTML elements within it so that the body automatically adjusts to the content within—proper use of bdi in particular is important, to properly isolate text within a line, such as the text of a button or formula. It might require formatting changes on some elements that don’t behave nicely.

+1. It is surprising that such a magnificent product is developed, and this isn’t considered a basic compatibility issue.
I believe solving it for regular text (canvas) is easier, and that’s where it’s most important. Right now it’s a complete mess for RTL languages. Unusable.
Tables and interfaces could come later, but text blocks is deal breaker for many companies I know.

1 Like

Same here… It would be teriffic!

Before we jump to pages and docs, let’s start with a text column that works RTL, so we can take RTL notes.

1 Like

I think coda team can do this “overcomplicated” changes one by one. Start with a MVP like RTL just for text elements and then do other things incrementally. This will ensure continuous delivering good product.
Some simple features like RTL for text or cell contents can answer most of our needs!

1 Like

This can help too:

Please enable RTL!!! This Platform is absolutely amazing and it will be perfect if you add this possibility

RTL Please…! me tooo…

@BenLee Is there any update on this? This is really a must for our team… Any feature that would have partial support of RTL would be VERY useful!
We can’t make quick notes or docs in Hebrew without the formatting making it unreadable…
Would really appreciate an update!

Hi @Gal_Oron,

And welcome to the community!

We are keeping an eye on all things localization, including RTL language support, but it’s likely going to be a little ways out before we can include it in the product. We have been doing a great deal of work overhauling our current editor and that’s opening up a lot of possibilities, but there’s still work ahead that needs to be in place before a project like this can start. For a website, you can pretty much just do this with some CSS styling, but in a collaborative editing environment with the other features and functions Coda includes, it becomes a good bit of engineering work.

Here’s part of what we’ve been working on and what the new editor work is opening up:

So, we’re not avoiding it, we just have to choose when we work on it strategically.

2 Likes