Select Control with no "Blank" option

Is there a way for a Control of the Select type in the body of the document to not have “Blank” as an option?

I’m pulling the options for my dropdown in the select from a column in a table that does not have empty cells, but it seems like the Blank option is hard-wired in the Select Control.

I’d like to get rid of it, because other parts of the document rely on there being an actual value in that selector, and I would have to code around that everywhere to make sure nothing unexpected happens if someone sets the value to blank…

17 Likes

I’m wondering the same. It’s more visual clutter in an frequently used select list. Hopefully I can color the real items as a workaround.

2 Likes

I can’t believe it’s been THREE years since this question was first posed and NO one has answered it. It’s STILL an issue in 2022 and I’m curious to know how this has been solved. Please advise.

1 Like

Hey there,

You can just define the options of your lookup via a formula. Reference whatever lists in the doc you need to develop your select controls.

If it DOES have blanks in it still, just add a filter(currentValue.isNotBlank) at the end!

Let me know if you need more help

1 Like

Hey Scott! Thanks so much for the reply. I’m about 3 days into Coda and I must not be applying your filter properly. See screencast:

https://kchambers.nimbusweb.me/share/6994825/k69n9ldhln9n3x8aynet

Hello,
I have the same question for a select control where I wish there were no “blank” option.

The “filter(CurrentValue.isNotBlank())” idea in the filter formula bar doesn’t remove this option.

Does anyone has an other idea/solution ?
(I guess the “blank” option is not an actual value that is filtered by the component formula, but a component option to switch off, isn’t it ?)

Best regards

Hi @Maxence_Walbrou. Your assessment sounds correct, i.e. that

"the “blank” option is not an actual value that is filtered by the component formula, but a component option to switch off"

If I want to table to show all rows, even if the control is blank, I use a formula like what you see below. Hope this helps! :slightly_smiling_face:

Best,
James

1 Like

Hello @James_Malloy and thank you really much for your kind answer and screenshot !
I now see how to use your workaround :+1:

(If someone @coda read this, an option to hide the “blank” option for select items could really simplify such handling :wink:)

Best regards

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.