Share: "Anyone with a link can edit" -- but they can't

I’ve set up a fill-in form view to a database to collect member information. The people filling this out will not be members of my org, and will not necessarily be Coda users.

I’ve set up a link that ostensibly allows outside users to edit, but when I view this link in a browser where I am not signed in, I cannot make any changes, or even add comments (fwiw, I’m signed in in Safari, using Firefox as my “outside” test case). Not sure what I’m doing wrong.

3 Likes

Unfortunately this seems to be one of the weaknesses of Coda. If you want outside users to push data in, I recommend pairing Coda + Zapier + Cognito Forms, or some other form system.

There is an option to enable editing in a doc for anyone with a link. My experience is that it does not seem to work. @Johg_Ananda, do you know how that is supposed to work?

Hi @Bjorn_Hansell yes you can play with the different permission settings to allow anonymous editors.

Perhaps you would be better served with Coda’s new form feature?

I want to share a link to let a user rearrange cards in the card view of a table. The user does not have a Coda account, and that’s why I wanted to enable editing for anyone with the link.

Forms unfortunately can not achieve the functionality I need. I also don’t want to force every user to sign up for a coda account. Permission settings clearly say “enable edit for anyone with the link”, but it does not work. I assume this is either a technical limitation or by design to force people to sign up for coda accounts.

@Bjorn_Hansell : Have you tried to publishing your doc instead of “just” sharing ?

Publishing is not an option due to the nature of the data.

@Bjorn_Hansell perhaps a good solution is here Launched: Pre-filled Form Fields - #12 by BenDavis

I see :blush: … Maybe the Locking settings could help then ? :blush: