This monetization is really bad for free users

file ACLs (access controls)

Access controls? Does that mean they’re charging for Google’s free permission system?

1 Like

Dear @Cameron_Gustavson

Some great thoughts on 2.0, including a suggestion to see a version 2.0 of the pricing model (not a great look when users are calling for an update the day an update is released):

4 Likes

That’s good stuff @Josh_Szwarga, definitely agree with everything.
Primarily

The golden rule of not p-ssing everyone off is: if something’s already free, don’t make it paid. Awarding credits isn’t really the same thing.

4 Likes

It’s called “Bait and Switch”. :shrimp: :clock7::moneybag:

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s exactly what I fear for. Earning the fame of a bait-and-switch product would impact Coda financially much harder than the choice to fully grandfather existing users at the very least.

6 Likes

Agree that the free tier will let many existing users down.

The doc size limits may be reasonable for new users, but they do feel too constrained for those of us who already invested a lot in Coda.

During the ‘years of abundance’ we had no indicators whatsoever of the size of the doc or number of objects, nor cross-doc capabilities. Users were incentivized to build mega docs that are now bound to be obsolete in a few weeks. Many of them won’t upgrade.

Maybe a compromise could be reached by allowing slightly higher limits for existing docs that already surpassed the 100/1000 quota before this announcement?

7 Likes

That’s my situation and I had been feeling quite disappointed the whole day. I’ve dedicated the past weeks making serious effort building 3 docs that would help with my tasks. But now it seems there is no way I can make those docs to fit the limitations of the free tier without striping their information, which does not make sense.
I had considered paying for the service as I really appreciate this platform, but unfortunately the price is out of my budget.

3 Likes

Fair point. Imagine if MS Excel had a megabyte tariff. Hmmm …

I consider Coda as Airtable alternative, but the free plan offered even lower than 1,200 rows limit by Airtable.

1 Like

Thank you all for the feedback. All of your voices matter here at Coda. If you wouldn’t mind, please follow up using the contact info in this post so we can take a closer look at each situation:

And if you haven’t read through the help articles about pricing and workspaces, please check them out here:

https://help.coda.io/en/collections/151030-faq#pricing

You can’t imagine how much time I spent on docs that will be obsolete with the pricing plan and will not be able to be used anymore :sob::sob::sob:

6 Likes

Pretty much same here :’(

2 Likes

Coda is a social media platform now?

I operated a non-profit community and I have been using Coda for nearly a year to build a platform for the whole 100 team members (mostly volunteers) to use and invested a lot into the Coda, I even introduce and share Coda with so many other communities in the network which pickup the platform as well. I told them that Coda will become commercial sooner or later, however they will still have the free tier suitable for current users.

Not seems to be the case here, though.

I am leader of a Zumba crew and I use Coda to record our activities and membership fee (non-profit). The file is not so complicated and don’t use any pack but I will reach 1000 rows soon. I can use google sheet instead but I chose Coda because its friendly interface, creative concept and great community. I know it will go into commercial but I dont think it will like this. Paying more than 100usd/month for a simple list is not reasonable. Now I am start to learn Google Sheet again and Glide app to make it friendly for mobile. Bye Coda, my ex.

1 Like

We upgraded but honestly, I’m already considering moving off. It’s just not worth it. We can do the same thing with zapier and a few other tools connected into our CRM. It’s sad really. We’re paying over 60 dollars for 8 users.

I posted this in the 2.0 Launch topic and I’m cross-posting here too…

We want to thank you all very much for your feedback. We are taking all of this in and are continuing to review our pricing structure.

We have opened three more topics for more directed feedback so we can better understand how the community is using Coda.

If you fall in any of the following three categories, please feel free to tell us more about your use-case there…

And if your ideas don’t fit in those categories, please add any other general feedback here…

@BenLee I like the “Soloist” terminology, and I hope this helps direct useful feedback. Do we need to repost our previous comments, or are those fine where they are in the previous discussions? Thanks!

JB

No need to repost.

We’re not deleting or removing any posts and we’ve been gathering and going through the posts already here.