Union of 2 Tables

I’m brand new to Coda and am trying to develop a To Do List application. My starting Point is “Shishir’s To-Do List Template”. However, she has one table called Categories and I’d like to have that one plus another one called Projects. Then in my Tasks Table, I’d like to have a Lookup column (Category/Projects) that’s a concatenation (or Union) of both Projects and Categories. For example,

Categories Table contains

• Candler
  • Finances
  • Events
  • Travel

Projects Table contains

• Reconfigure PC
  • Fix Phone
  • Fix File Server

Then my Category/Project column in my Tasks Table allows me to select any ONE of the following:

• Candler
  • Finances
  • Events
  • Travel
  • Reconfigure PC
  • Fix Phone
  • Fix File Server

And of course, I’d like to be able to show all tasks that belong to any one of those Categories/Projects.

Can someone help figure out whether that’s possible or advisable and a clue as to how to go about that? I know one alternative is to only have one table that’s called Categories/Projects and I put everything into that one. But I’d prefer not to.

Yes, this is possible in Coda. Here is how I setup the 3 tables:

In the Tasks table, I formatted the Category or Projects column as a Select List. I then added the following formula:

List(Projects.ProjectNames,Categories.CategoryNames)

Now my selectable options in that column of the Task table are from those two other tables:

This should hopefully get you started. If you still run into a roadblock with showing related tasks, let me know.

3 Likes

Perfect! Seems obvious now that you showed me how :slight_smile:

@Jeff_Gordon @Joseph_B’s solution is great – it’s so easy to forget that you can use a formula in the Select List field. But you might also want to check out this approach to nested projects. It’s a little complex, but it permits hierarchical projects and surfaces the all related tasks. I’m refactoring my whole projects and task application to take advantage of this.
JB

Hmmm … @John_Beaudoin_Jack … that Nested Project approach seems to be the direction I want to take my project in. Since I’m so new to Coda, I’m trying multiple approaches to see what looks like it might be right for me.

1 Like