Unsupported-anonymous-user

Under what conditions does User.Email() return something like “unsupported-anonymous-user-1003@anon.coda.io”? I’m trying to debug why this would be the case for a user of a doc and I’m not coming up with any documentation or community posts related to this.

Thanks!

Dear @Thomas_Robbs2,

I recommend to get in contact with the Codans either though Intercom (’?") or support@coda.io where you share your doc with this error.

The community will appreciate if you could post a short message with info about this error in case somebody else comes across. :handshake:

1 Like

I would say when you do something like User().email if an anonymous user is logged in into coda, could that be?

In any case better wait a codan :slight_smile:

I’m soliciting more information from the user on how they accessed the doc, but the general process we have is that the doc would be shared with them to give them access to it. Presumably they would need to be logged in to access the doc as it’s not published publicly (AFAIK).

Part of the functionality that involves the User.Email() call is to look up their eMail address in a table of users to determine what kind of behavior to present to them. It’s also used when they add some data into the doc - their User.Email() is captured as one of the cells of a row in a table. This is where I found that this value was coming back.

If I know what the conditions are for this kind of value coming back, I think I’d be able to track down how the user is ending up in this situation.

I’ve sent a request via Intercom to have someone look at this thread.

Thanks!

Hey that’s the exact same setup that i use in my doc :joy:
I should have made a post in the community about it, like “license manager”, what i do is to share it with people and if their email is not in the db i presume that they are a demo user, using a custom ‘current user’ formula :slight_smile:

1 Like

FWIW, Coda Support replied to my Intercom message and directed me to this:

Now… to find out how I disable that…

Update:
The fix to disable was to change the advanced setting for “Anyone with a link” to “Can View”, or something more restrictive than “Can Edit”. It’s the combination of having the link, and an open “Can Edit” permission that triggers the user being asked if they want to edit anonymously.

Dear @Thomas_Robbs2,

If I understood your point well, I assume when you switch-of “discoverable” nobody can find your published doc and only users that have been invited will be able to access your doc.

Thanks @Jean_Pierre_Traets, but my doc is private (not published) and only shared with select people.

However, it appears that (see the link I shared previously), people who I have shared the doc with have the option to edit anonymously, and that is undesirable as it leads to the problem I outlined earlier where User.Email() does not give me an email address that matches anyone in my list of people I’ve shared with.