Use of Code AI/ChatGPT AI to generate worldbuilding content based on Coda document

Hello again, folks!
It’s your friendly, oddball, worldbuilding Coda newbie trying to figure out how to integrate AI into my workflow.

I’ve been using ChatGPT with LegendKeeper (LK) for months now as part of my worldbuilding/adventure writing process for my D&D 5e campaigns with a ton of success. However, the process has been largely manual, with me either creating campaign summaries I upload to ChatGPT to provide context for queries or copy/pasting specific data in.

I would like a more seamless approach. My goal state is for the AI to have access to my campaign as I have described it so far, mostly in tables, in Coda.io and then to have it help me generate ideas that are context-appropriate for new content, without needing to maintain a separate campagain/world summary or do a lot of content pasting.

I had something that like that working in Notion using Make.com as a bridge, but Notion’s API is super goofy WRT relations, and I had to abandon it. I’ve got all the relations working in Coda, but now I’m struggling for the best way to interact with the AI capabiltiies.

The column fill AI is far too limited. The chat button in the bottom right has not successfully used context on a page I’m on, even when I set the context to “This Page.” It just provides general ideas.

What are my options? Should I be looking at the ChatGPT pack? Should I go back to using Make.com as a bridge? Am I just not using the Coda AI correctly?

Here’s my test use case: I have a table that describes settlements and a table that describes points of interest. Point of interest types are things like inns, taverns markets, places of workship, forges, etc., The Settlement table includes all the regional context of the settlement from it’s owning region all the way up to the world it’s in. It has some descriptive information. I want the AI to suggest a list of names for POIs in the town for each POI type. For example, give me a list of 5 Inn names appropriate for the city of Zarza, given all the contextual and descriptive information I can point it to in my tables.

For example, Zarza is a city run by witches, so good Inn names might be things like The Sleepy Spellbook, The Cozy Cauldron, The Wicked Wanderer, etc… Zarza’s Region context oif the Hexweave Valley includes reference to the founder of the valley, Hester Rosenberg, so something like Hester’s Rest would be a good, context specific description. Not generic outputs like The Cheeky Goblin, or Hero’s Rest.

A follow on use case would be I create an Inn in the POIs table linked to the settlement and ask the AI to then populate columns about the Inn like a description, an image, a menu…all appropriate for the higher level context available through the POI table relations.

Thoughts for approaches?
Thanks,
Heidi

1 Like

Hello @Heidi_Jugovic,

I wrote this text with AI help (a GPT expert in Coda I created):

Your project of integrating Coda.io with AI capabilities for your D&D campaign worldbuilding is quite ambitious and innovative. Given the limitations you’ve experienced with the column fill AI and the chat feature in Coda, and your need for more context-specific AI assistance, here are some potential approaches:

1. Using the ChatGPT Pack in Coda.io:
  • The ChatGPT Pack for Coda can potentially be more flexible than the built-in AI features. You can set it up to pull specific data from your tables in Coda and use that data as context for generating AI responses.
  • However, the ChatGPT Pack might still have some limitations in terms of understanding deeply nested or complex relational data. You’d need to experiment with how well it can interpret the context from your tables.
  1. Revisiting Make.com as a Bridge:
  • Since you’ve had some success with Make.com (formerly Integromat) in the past, it might be worth revisiting this option. Make.com can act as a bridge between Coda and an external AI service (like ChatGPT or a similar API).
  • You could set up a workflow where data from your Coda tables is sent to an AI service via Make.com, processed, and then the results are sent back to Coda. This might give you more control over the context and content of the AI’s responses.
  1. Custom Integration with Coda API:
  • If you have programming skills or access to a developer, you might consider building a custom integration using Coda’s API.
  • You could create a script or application that fetches data from your Coda tables, sends it to an AI model (like OpenAI’s GPT-3), and then processes the AI’s responses in a way that’s tailored to your specific needs.
  • This approach would give you the most control and flexibility but requires the most technical effort.
  1. Scripting within Coda:
  • Depending on the complexity of your needs, you might be able to write scripts within Coda that generate content based on the data in your tables. This would be more limited than using an AI model but could work for simpler generation tasks.

In your specific use case for generating POI names in the city of Zarza, a combination of these methods could be used. For example, you could use a script or the ChatGPT Pack to pull contextual data from your Settlement and POI tables and then send this data to an AI model for generating names that are contextually appropriate.

For the follow-on use case (populating columns about the Inn), a similar approach could be taken. Here, more complex integration might be needed to handle the generation of descriptions, images, and menus that fit the broader context.

In summary, while there is no one-size-fits-all solution, experimenting with the ChatGPT Pack, revisiting Make.com, considering a custom integration using Coda’s API, or utilizing scripting within Coda are all viable paths to explore. Each has its own trade-offs in terms of complexity, flexibility, and the level of technical skill required.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.