API delayed response

I’ve built a lot of integrations using Coda and Make (formerly Integromat) and it’s been great until this latest major release of features from Coda.

It usually worked pretty much instantly to Make to read a doc and find the correct rowId to update a information, for example. But what I face now is some sort of delay, like Coda’s taking a few seconds to make available to the API the line I just created.

I have to put a few “Sleep” modules between all the scenario actions and the final update back on Coda (sometimes, things like 8 seconds), otherwise it breaks with a 404, saying it can’t get a row with the ID of a line I just created.

Does Coda changed something on it’s API processing power lately?
Is someone else having this kind of issue?

Hi @hugo_assuncao - I’m not aware of any changes to how our API handles mutations, but I’ll ask around to see if anything has changed. The API documentation does include this information about consistency:

While edits made in Coda are shared with other collaborators in real-time, it can take a few seconds for them to become available via the API. You may also notice that changes made via the API, such as updating a row, are not immediate. These endpoints all return an HTTP 202 status code, instead of a standard 200, indicating that the edit has been accepted and queued for processing. This generally takes a few seconds, and the edit may fail if invalid. Each such edit will return a requestId in the response, and you can pass this requestId to the #getMutationStatus endpoint to find out if it has been applied.

I’m not very familiar with Make’s features, but if you could check the getMutationStatus endpoint in a loop that would be more reliable than sleeps.

3 Likes

I was not aware of the getMutationStatus endpoint; I’ll try to implement it.
Thank’s for the answer!

1 Like

I got the same issue, but the changes are not made with an api call, but in the Coda application. A user makes some changes, triggers a webhook, and the automation tool will retrieve the row data (passed as a parameter to the webhook).

If a user is adding/changes and triggering too fast, the automation tool is retrieving old information or get a 404 error.

So I also add a delay/sleep but this is feeling as an ugly solution. Might there be a more subtle solution on this case as well?

1 Like

That’s the case in here too.
I have several applications built with Coda as database and use it’s data to trigger scenarios on Make (formerlly Integromat), but if I select a subset of data (say, apply a filter) and trigger the automation (which will read this doc), it returns a 404, since this last change hasn’t been made available through API.

I’ve read the documentantion on getMutationStatus endpoint, but found no use to implement it on Make, so I just have to wait a few seconds between making any changes and triggering the automation – or I have to send the data I want through the webhook URL (that works, but only for small chuncks of data).

Unfortunately, did you found out whats the minimum delay we have to use to avoid the 404’s?

I actually did’n implement a delay, or sleep function to it, instead I’ve set up a error handler, to show me the 404, as I’ve seen time varying between 5 and 20 seconds - it’s really strange.

For more complex use cases, I’ve built an application on Bubble.io, a no-code platform, which can handle more robust logic and a larger amount of data. In this particular case I had to move the project not only because of Coda, but also because Make has it’s limitations too (it was a workflow to get customer data from one software and create - and sign - multiple documents, so, a little bit too much for these two guys).

Hi. I’m having the same issue. I’m trying to read coda table using Qlik Sense, but the changes take forever to appear on the api.

1 Like

My solution in this kind of scenario (user updates data in the UI, triggers an outside server to read that data via Coda API), is similar in spirit to getMutationStatus.

• Make a column with formula Modified(), and send it along in the querystring.
  • Read the row via API; if API row’s modification date < querystring modification date, wait a bit and try again

(Not experienced with Make so unsure if it can loop like this)

2 Likes

If you reverse the polarity of the integration you can make it darn near real time.

You need two things - a webhook trigger in QlikCloud and a custom pack that posts to the webhook. As data changes in the Coda table, it is almost instantly sent to Qlik via the Pack.

I use this technique with Firebase and MapBox and the performance is excellent.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/cloud-services/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_QlikAutomation/working-with-automations/working-with-webhooks.htm

I confirm the same delay on my end (Coda + Make).
Does anyone @coda validates that 20 seconds delay is “normal” ?

Best regards

Yes @Maxence_Walbrou, that sounds about right.

Thank you for the quick answer :+1:
Too bad it takes so long :sweat_smile:

Best regards

Indeed, and why Coda needs to support sockets-layer data communications.

I’ve found good success using inbound webhooks to speed the flow of data to Coda tables.

I would appreciate it if you could please explain with an example.

@111145 - What platform are you using? Make, custom code, etc?

I use make.com platform.

Hello there !

Just to let Coda devs know : I encountered several cases where inserting rows through API (make), then searching for those rows (through make also) needed around 1 min of « sync delay » (45 sec is not sufficient to get the inserted data).

That is so long (and seems to be increasing). ==> Does that also seem « normal » to you ?

As I understand you can’t remove that delay, a way to get inserted row ids after executing Make’s modules would save a lot of complexity for no-coders that love Coda :+1: (As wall as a secured formula to get row ids in Coda docs :wink:).

Best regards

The delay seems to correlate with the size of the doc somehow. In an empty doc it seems to be almost instant.
I have some data over 4 months where I also calculate the API delay, I graphed it here. Y-axis is seconds. This is from a huge doc.

This shows that waiting a certain amount of time for the row is not a reliable method :slightly_frowning_face:

But if you look at the endpoint then it should return addedRowIds, certainly Make can use that?
https://coda.io/developers/apis/v1#tag/Rows/operation/upsertRows

1 Like

Hum interesting ! I understand why that time seems to increase then :thinking:

For the addedRowIds, that would really be nice to have access to it in Make modules output (we don’t).

Edit : Asking to Make to add this output will go nowhere as their answer is “We do what people vote on” :disappointed: But anyway, you can vote on that idea here :+1:

1 Like