Autofill Lookup Values. Automatically link rows from two different tables

Does Coda have a feature similar to Airtable’s “Link to another record” Column type? This allows automatic cross-linking of values between two tables.

I have two tables: “Vendors Table” is a list of vendors I order from, “Order History” is a list of all orders I place from these vendors. I have have created a lookup in the “Vendors /table” for specific orders in “Order History”

My problem: In order to see the specific order from “Order History” in my “Vendors Table” I have to manually select the order from a drop down list. I want to have the specific order automatically populated in my “Vendors Table” when it is created in “Order History” (because in “Order History”, the vendor name has been manually inputed by me for the specific order)

So if this were to be accomplished in AirTable, when you enter the vendor name in “Order History”, the specific order will show in “Vendors Table” automatically (instead of having to select it from a drop down list)

Thanks

Hi Dr Lee,

Welcome to Coda.

The functionality works slightly different, but you can get to the same result. While Coda’s table are very similar to relational databases, they are some subtle differences.

The most simplest way would be simply to create a view and filter your Order history by the vendor column. In that view you can pull in the columns from the Vendor master that you need. (This is the way that I prefer to do this specific kind of join.)

In this doc I have an example of a customer and invoices, with sub totals. There are also other examples of doing the join, including pulling in the details to the header table.

Please see the page “Table Joins and Lookups” and its sub pages for a few examples.

And there various other ways to accomplish it as well.

Regards
Piet

1 Like

Piet,

Thanks for the tip! I will try that out for sure.

Piet,

I figured out a different way to link the two tables automatically. For my example, in “Vendor Table”, I created a new column, and selected “Lookup” as the column type. Then I selected “Referenced by”, and my other table “Order History” was listed. Once I selected the “order history” table, all order dates for each vendor from “Order History” are now listed automatically within each vendor in the “Vendor Table”

Thanks again.

1 Like

HI

And another new method! I will need to add that to my Examples Doc.

It is a very handy way to do it.

Thanks
piet