Bug: switching from Lookup column type to List column type doesn't remove references to the rows from the lookup source table

When you switch column from Lookup type to List type, references to the rows from the lookup source table are not being removed.

After switching from Lookup type to List type, column function shows this:

List("Doing","Done","To Do")

But values in the column still have references to the lookup source table (you can hover over them etc). They are not just text values from a list.

You can even update value in the lookup source table (Task Stages in my example) and it will be updated in the column that was already switched to List type.

Example Coda document:

Screen recording:

Bug - switching from Lookup column type to List column type doesn't remove references to the rows from the original lookup table

I mentioned this to the team and the values that are transferred to the select list text options are row values there. Likely something we need to improve on at some point, so thank you for pointing it out. For now, if you delete those values, then add the text values again, they will be text values.

This is a tricky one because a select list can also be row values for options, it doesn’t have to be text, so a fix isn’t straight forward and some decisions will have to be made.

@BenLee, it’s not a huge deal, I just wanted to share so Coda team is aware of this behavior.

I understand that I can delete values from the column, but you can imagine if the table is big — it’s a big task to delete and select correct values for all the rows.

By the way, to give you context why I tried to change Lookup type column to List type column: because when grouping a table by text values from the list you can choose which groups to show even if they don’t have any rows currently (with the pin button in the grouping settings) and filter out groups that you don’t want to show (with the table filter).

The fact that you can’t set pins (“always show this group”) and filter out unwanted groups when you are grouping by the lookup column is killing me and makes project management system that I’m building in Coda much more difficult to create.

It’s double pain when you group by two lookup columns (Initiatives and Projects in Tasks table in my system).

Are you thinking about extending grouping settings to lookup groups in some near future?

Here is a post in Suggestion Box about same problem from another user:

1 Like