Button or Toggle Switch to show/hide entire table

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to fine a way to use buttons, toggles, or dropdown boxes to change what is shown on a dashboard. For this use case I’d like to be able to hide an entire table from view and then show a different one.

A specific use case is a Gant chart (timeline). Having a chart that allows me to see expected start and end dates, and one that shows actually start and end dates and toggle between the two would be excellent.

I appreciate any help you can offer!

Hey Brad, this sounds like a cool idea! I don’t think we offer a way to do this right now, but I’d love to get this logged as a feature request. Do you mind answering the following questions so we can better understand your use-case?

What value does this new feature unlock? What does this help you accomplish?

On a scale of 1 to 4 (1 = nice to have, 4 = absolutely must have), how badly would you say you need this feature?

How would you describe what you’re trying to build with this feature? (Project tracker, blog, client-facing resource, etc.)

Hello Jasmine,

My apologies for not replying before now. I think this would be an awesome feature in the future.

I am happy to answer the questions.

Answer: This would allow users to creative more interactive and adjustable dashboards that can show only the needed information and hide tables that are unneeded in for the current view or situation.

On a scale of 1 to 4 (1 = nice to have, 4 = absolutely must have), how badly would you say you need this feature?

Answer: 2

How would you describe what you’re trying to build with this feature? (Project tracker, blog, client-facing resource, etc.)

Answer: Project/Product tracker and dashboard. However, this feature could be used all over the place. Any time you wanted to hide tables and show a different one based on filtering, toggle switches, or even (perhaps) formulas.

Hi @Brad_Young,

As mentioned this is not possible however, taking your example into account, there may be a middle ground.

Instead of swapping tables entirely, set the timeline dates to point to Formula columns. You can then have the formula return the Actual or Expected Date depending on a control on the page such as the toggle you wanted or a drop down.

I have put together a quick example here:

There are some downsides to this. For example, you lose the functionality to click and drag the bars to adjust dates on the fly.

Another option, if you were not already aware, is that you can use Interactive Filters to hot swap between sets of records.

For example swapping between all projects, projects this year, projects ran by specific people/departments, etc. Note that a control can be shared between multiple views of the same table so if you have multiple on screen and want all to adjust simply link each subsequent table filter to the existing control. Good naming convention on the controls will help you here.

I hope that this helps.

Dale

2 Likes

Hi @Brad_Young,

I saw that you requested access to the doc.

As it is an embed on this post I would rather not give edit permissions and it also makes tracking permissions more complex.

I have gone ahead and published the doc so that you can make your own copy to play with.

Kind regards

Dale

Thank you! This is excellent!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.