Can you change the selection of an interactive filter from a formula (eg inside a button?)

Hi There All,
I’m wondering if there’s any way to change the selection of an interactive filter via a button?
Use case?
I have a table that’s filtered via the interactive selection. I also add to the table via a button. I’d like to be able to have the interactive selection auto-select the new row once its created.

Any ideas?

1 Like

And as a follow up - I would be ok to just add a new row with the interactive selector, but it needs to select a row that is created with a formula.
(The row is job number + job name - which allows one to search for a project either by the number or name, which is necessary for us day to day!)

So - turning on “quick adding of new items” just doesn’t do anything.

This is directly related to another post which I’m looking for answers on to…

See This Topic

I think the button route on the Other Topic would probably solve this as well since you can use a button to add a blank row and then open that row for editing.

@James_Eades - yes, THANKS for this.

I already have my button set up this way - but what isn’t clear is how to select the new project as the currently viewed project once you finish working on the modal. I’m going to go back thru Pauls tips and tricks again and see if I can find some sort of clever trick.

At the moment, the button opens the modal of the new project to edit, but there’s SO much info to put into the project, that it becomes very unwieldly in one modal. I actually think the workflow is worse than the way it is now…

This is why I’ve divided the project table into 8 different views. However, once you close the modal, the last project you were editing is still visible, and you need to go to the selector to select the new project before you can edit it on any of the project pages (views).

Its just a very clunky UI.

Now - if the lookup for the projects is in a table, then its easy, as the button can select the project inside the lookup. However, when its an interactive filter, there doesn’t seem any way to address that filter.

I did have the table/button/lookup system in place, and it worked well, until more than one person was using the document at the same time. And of course, as soon as one person selected a different project, that project was selected for the other person as well. Interactive filters don’t have this problem.

My other idea (after reading a few of @Paul_Danyliuk’s amazng tricks, might be to make a separate navigation table for every user. However, there must be 50-100 plus places I would need to update across a bunch of tables and formulas to get this to work - I can see it being quite a tonne of work, and I’m not even sure if its going to achieve what I need it to.

I might try mock up a proof of concept tomorrow.

Hey @Brendan_Woithe, I must’ve answered this question so many times already, yet I haven’t made a dedicated post out of it. Fun thing is that I cannot even find a suitable reply of mine to link here.

I’ll get myself to write a post on it today/tomorrow.

Meanwhile:

1. You cannot modify a canvas control from a formula.

2. You should create a table with those controls as columns instead. One row = one set of controls per user:

3. Then you code your table filters to read values from the row belonging to current user. I like to make a named formula CurrentFlow that’s equal to Flows.Filter(User = User()).First(), then in filter formulas reference values like CurrentFlow.[Date from]

This way multiple users will be able to use this doc with different sets of filters at the same time, given that there’s a row in the Flows table belonging to this user. Also you’ll be able to change values there with a button, unlike with canvas controls that you cannot edit with an action.

1 Like

@Paul_Danyliuk, Hey there! Yes indeed, this is the confirmation / info I was seeking. And very much in line with what I expected the design might be like. Thanks for taking the time to share the details here. I spent quite a while looking for other posts about it, but never really got a clear idea / wasn’t able to apply info to my circumstances. (I figure some of the problem is just searching for the wrong terms… interactive filter rather than canvas control etc). Your post is really clear and extremely helpful.

It feels like it makes sense for me and my document control… and now I just need to work out how much trouble it will be to implement. I have a feeling it will be more than worth it in the long run.

I’m going to finish building out the final feature set (for us, thats budgeting and invoicing) and then I will tackle the UI / filtering etc. I need to learn to only be working on one thing at once… otherwise I quickly loose the thread as to what I was doing, and find it hard to pick it up (especially when something is a little complex for me!)

Cheers - and I’ll report back on how it all goes.

1 Like

For everyone looking how to do this and finding this older thread — I recorded a video tutorial and shared a sample doc here:

1 Like