Coda on M1 Macbooks performance

Hi there,

I’m curious if there are any M1 MacBook users out there and whether they find it makes a difference to Coda performance. I plan to upgrade to an apple silicon MacBook in 2022 or 23. I’ve found coda’s performance a little janky on my current MacBook Pro, and I can’t tell if it’s due to my hardware limitations, my network, my coda docs themselves, or some combo of other issues.

Thanks!

Hi @Tim_Richardson ! I was finally able to get my hand on an m1 mac mini with 16gb of ram and the performances of my docs skyrocketed! (compared to an upgraded 2012 mac and a 4gb of ram chromebook, i could expect it ahahahah)

I suggest to people who have poor performances and do not like windows for good reasons to evaluate the upgrade! (i payed mine 700 euro used, but i’m sure in usa there are way better prices and availablility!)

1 Like

Thanks Mario! I ended up upgrading to an M1 entry level macbook air and saw massive performance increases on Coda. I did some Browser benchmarks when I switched and the results are below.

2016 MBP - Safari - Jetstream 2 - 63.9
2016 MBP - Safari - Speedometer 2- 68.8
2016 MBP - Firefox - Speedometer 2 - 29.9

2020 MBA - Safari - Speedometer - 217
2020 MBA - Safari - Jetstream - 160

1 Like

hi @Tim_Richardson1 :slight_smile:
It’s a lovely idea to have a benchmark for browser! But is it rappresentative of the work required by coda?
And, is there a reason you havent tried chrome?
For now seems like a good progress!, but i would love to have an official answer on how could we get the best coda performances based on computer’s specs!

I use Coda with two different computers.

My main computer is a Macbook Pro M1 MAX with 32GB RAM, and 24 GPU., Mac OS X.
My secondary computer is a Lenovo Legion 5, 16GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 2060, Windows 11.
Browser in use for both systems: Google Chrome.

Running Coda seems smooth on both systems. So far no issues, and no noticable differences.

My documents may not be the most complicated, but one has a few “advanced/compicated” database functions/filters, but haven’t run into any performance issues what so ever so far.

Actually, quite happy with the performance I experience.

1 Like