Cumulative Sum for tracking progress over time?

Below is an example of what I’m trying to achieve. Lets say I have two projects I am tracking and a bunch of different tasks. They are all completed at different dates. Some come in under budget, some come in over budget (that +/- column).

What I’d like to do is create a line or area graph that shows how the cumulative sum (the value I am displaying at the bottom of the chart 3.75) is changing as plotted over time and filtered by project. Can this be done? What I want to be able to see at a glance is how our project is gaining or losing $ over time.

What would do is to sum based on the RowId. Steps to do it:

1. Add a column that is row number with the formula RowId(currentRow).
  2. Add a column that is cumulative sum with a formula like: [Table 1].Filter([Row number] <= thisRow.RowId()).[Column 3].Sum(). Table 1 is the table in question, Row number is the column where you have the row numbers and Column 3 is the column you want to sum over.
1 Like

Thomas, thank you. I was able to use this to filter by project and date instead. So here is my actual solution to create two separate tracking graphs (based on the table shown above)

[Example Table].Filter(project=“alpha”).Filter(date<=thisRow.date).[+/-].Sum()
[Example Table].Filter(project=“beta”).Filter(date<=thisRow.date).[+/-].Sum()

1 Like

This is great. What if instead of Sum you wanted to do a more complex formula?

Hey @Ava you can def do more complex formulas! Right now the formula ends with .Sum() so it is summing. What do you want to do?