Dependencies in Gantt View

I already sent this suggestion and got a crazy fast reply from the team, I was very impressed. But wanted to see what the community thought.

When you create a gantt view you have an option to select a column of the table that has either “start” and “duration” values or “start” and “end” values to create the horizontal bar on the gantt chart. I think it would be awesome to have another option to select a column for dependencies. In that column you could link to other entries in that same table, even multiple entries, then the dependencies would be displayed on the gantt chart.

Would anyone else use this?

Thanks,
Dave

9 Likes

I don’t use the Gantt view that much but curious about the use case you’re describing. Are you referring to something like this?

3 Likes

@Dave_Seeman indeed, I subscribe to that. Dependencies are fundamental for a gantt chart! Otherwise we’d have to do a lot of manual work on complex projects. I don’t know how difficult would it be for Coda to have that implemented though. Did you got any idea or ETA from support in this regard?

5 Likes

I agree - that would be fantastic. Relatedly, it would be really nice if little lines could show up between boxes to indicate dependency relationships

6 Likes

yes PLEASE!!! need this feature bad!

+1, this would be so useful.

Until the Coda team implements this here is a workaround, you can add a column with the dependency task, another column with a manual start date and finally another column with the calculated start date, that way you can add a formula that checks if theres is a dependency to calculate from. I made a doc showing this:

The only problem I found with this is that when you update the duration of a task directly from the gantt the dependant task doesn't update (only in the gantt) until you click on any task, another way it updates is when you change sections or if you refresh the page.
2 Likes